Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 08-02-2005, 10:52 AM

Default quick question about sklanksy-karlson

are those numbers chips or bbs?

jj says 319, so if i have 319 chips or less, it's +ev if i push and then turn my cards over for my opp...or is it if i have 319 bbs or less?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Re: quick question about sklanksy-karlson

It refers to the number of SBs. The max SBs that you or your opponent could have to make your push correct from the SB if he could see your cards.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:12 AM

thanks

by you or your opponent could have, do you mean that if i have 318sbs (for jj) but my opp has 400, then i shouldn't do it? or only the person in the sb that is pushing needs to have 319sbs or less
Old 08-02-2005, 11:18 AM

If you had 318 SBs, it would still be "correct" for you to do it. (In that case, I think it really means that it wouldn't be "incorrect" since you probably don't want to waste JJ by just taking the blinds.) It just means that it would be +EV even if your opponent could see your cards.

This is what I have saved from another poster's explanation of the S-K charts. I think that it was Curtains but I'm not sure. In any event, these are not my original thoughts:

The chart assumes you are playing a game with blinds of 1 and 2. You are in the SB and have only two options, either to move allin or to fold. The number in the right most column is the number where you are +EV to move allin with the given hand, assuming you have that many chips or less AND assuming your opponent knows your cards. This means that if your opponent calls with every single hand that beats you, its still +EV to move allin with these hands as long as you have less chips than the right hand column.

What this basically does is prove beyond a doubt that it's terrible to fold certain hands headsup with certain stack sizes, because even if your opponent knew what you had, your push would still be +ev.

N_call and N_fold are the number of hands that will call/fold given that you move in with the maximum stack that you will do so with. P|call is the probability of winning given that you are called (plus 1/2 the probability of tieing). The last number is the original question.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:28 AM

thanks...makes sense...appreciate it