Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 08-02-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Best Athletes

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sure. NFL, MLB, NBA, NASCAR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nascar ahhhhh! I'd rather watch Arena Football or the Oxygen Network.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might, but the numbers don't lie. They have far and away surpassed the NHL in popularity, both measured with attendance and with TV ratings.

[/ QUOTE ]

NASCAR is a sport?

how a bunch of cars making constent left truns is considered entertainment is beyond me.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NASCAR is a sport?

how a bunch of cars making constent left truns is considered entertainment is beyond me.

[/ QUOTE ]

We've built the fastest car ever and have the best driver ever. Now watch him drive it around in circles.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sprinting is anarobic, the NFL is anarobic. Do you see how those and other track events that work with the NFL don't really work in rugby? I can garuntee you that Sivivatuu is just as good of a sprinter as any NFL player, and if you ever see Tonderai Chavanaga then you'd know that you haven't seen a faster sprinter in the NFL. THere are way more fat overweight players in the NFL then there are in rugby. I don't remember any gold medalist track and field atheletes being in the NFL any time recently, and lets be honest, how does high jumping really play into being a great NFL player, it doesn't. YOu can jump as high as you want, but if you can't position yourself, or run good routes then you will be a worthless reciever. I can garuntee you that more rugby players would make it in the NFL then the other way around

[/ QUOTE ]

Football is not anaerobic

No, perhaps no NFL player has won an olympic gold in sprinting or throwing, but John Capel was a Florida WR before becoming a world class sprinter and was still drafted in the NFL. Jonathan Ogden was a world class shot putter at UCLA. Michael Bennett ran a sub 10.1 100m and was a collegiate all american. I don't know who Sivivatu is, and I'm sure he's very fast, but can you guarantee that kind of speed?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:35 AM

I'm going to go with the NHL on this one, with consideration also for world-class rugby and soccer, as well as tennis.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:38 AM

The best athlete in TEAM sports has to be in the NHL. Granted there are some excellent athletes in every sport, but overall NHL players are top. Playing in a physically demanding 82 game season (not including playoffs), with one of the shortest off seasons is a lot. Getting and giving a hit in football and rugby takes a lot, but the its not the same in NHL were players are moving 2 to 3 times faster.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:55 AM

why are so many people confusing physical fitness with athletic ability? what definition are we using for athletic ability?
for me, this means the combination of speed, quickness, coordination and strength. Decathaletes probably fit this definition the best. for team sports, I'd go with hockey (and I hate hockey) or basketball.

for fitness, you can choose any of the ultra sports (ultra marathon, ironman, etc) and make a case. for team sports, I'd go with H2O polo or quiddich (don't matches sometimes stretch into days as the seekers look for the snitch?).
Old 08-02-2005, 02:30 PM

Many NBA or NFL players were also very good at other sports, because they are simply great athletes. This does not seem to be true at all with the NHL.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:25 PM

I saw Steve Atwater naked and he is a machine.