Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 03-10-2003, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Time to wave the white flag?

"How is the Jh the worst card to hit the board? It gives you two pair and adds 4 outs to a house to your hand. also remember with two opponents neither may have the flush. You also have 8 outs to the straight (six clean) to anyone trying to play top pair or a set. It seems you have some good drawing possibilities here."

It's a bad card because it creates a terrifying board (9TJQ with three hearts), while making your hand just good enough to not want to fold. There are NO straight draws, as a K or 8 would mean the board plays (provided no one has a heart).
Old 03-10-2003, 06:37 PM

I think a bet is automatic, after you get raised, then you can consider folding. What do they put you on right now, the coldcaller might have been calling with a jack, and the button might have bet a ten, a nine, or a jack. Neither one necessarily has either a queen or hearts.

That card has to be scary to anyone else who also doesn't have either of those holdings.

Off to see how much everyone disagrees with me.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:43 PM

I would probably checkraise or bet about an equal percentage of the time. Given your characterization of the button, I would checkraise more often.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:52 PM

"I would probably checkraise or bet about an equal percentage of the time. Given your characterization of the button, I would checkraise more often."

--That's what I was trying to say, only much more concise. It's definitely an opponent-dependent play.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:08 PM

Didn't read the responses.

Lets pretend that Q didn't make the flush...

That's a pretty good card. You have no reason to suspect button has a Q, and since the other player didn't bet the flop you have no reason to suspect HE has a Queen; whereas both the opponents have reason to suspect YOU have a Queen.

I would bet without hesitation, and if called hope to check-it-around on the river.

But the Q DID make the flush. Yes, you have some problem here but I may bet tempted to bet it out depending on the opponents.

- Louie
Old 03-11-2003, 11:03 AM

Because he's only marginally more likely to be ahead, would only have half as many outs, and has what looks like a made hand.