Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 07-19-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Probably simple, not sure...

Are you seriously trying to argue that the call is not easy? Or are you just trying to kill every post Soss makes?

Brad
Old 07-19-2005, 03:08 PM

I think in tournament play, if you put yourself as a coinflip, you can make this lay down.

In cash game, Without a doubt, no brainer call.. You'll never survive leaving money like this on the table.

But I prefer a survivalist style.. I don't like putting a deep stack at risk of elimination on a coinflip, even when the ChipEV is clearly in my advantage.

If the chip stacks are getting shallow, it becomes a much easier call in tournament play. Hero has 38 BB if he folds.. I make this fold. If Hero has 10-15 BB, I probably call.

To completely dismiss that a laydown is possible in tournament play (and that's what this forum is for, MTT's), I think that's a wrong assumption to make.

If you think you have a big edge over the rest of your table, I lay it down and find a better spot. That's just my survivalist style though.. Everybody is different. But it's not unreasonable at all.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Soss detractor

Soss - I, for one, thank you for your posts, even when you remind me of how dumb I play this game. I totally agree with these comments as I do with most that you make. The douche detractor (Mr. is inappropriate) does not even offer valid alternatives, just name calling. Not worth the read.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:17 PM

so how much dead money would have to be in the pot in order for you to make the call?
Old 07-19-2005, 03:20 PM

thanks.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:22 PM

Soss,

First vince, then this guy.....

Did you recently change your cologne or something?

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 07-19-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Soss,

First vince, then this guy.....

Did you recently change your cologne or something?

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to be attracting them, don't I. He does love me.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:29 PM

I'm curious how that "surivalist" style works for you?
Because I used to hate coinflips too until I realized you have to win a few to win tournaments. Survivalism means you can get really really far in each tournament you play, but it also means you're probably going to bubble or get just inside the money.

And besides... you'd have to put him on a hand that makes this a coinflip. I don't think his range here necessarily dictates that. He'd need a set or 76 before I'd start to think I was a dog, and besides those made hands don't make giant over-pushes. An out-of-line push, in my experience, is almost always a draw.
Besides, even if I knew I was against an overpair, I'd take my chances here. Being a slight favorite + the overlay in the pot is enough for me.

Yeah, if you fold, you still have 35bb, but if you call and win, you have about 80 which should give you lots of ammo for the stretch run.

And yes, if he has 7h3h in the first hand, it does change how you play the second. Namely, don't. If he's a maniac (min-raising preflop from the big blind with 73s? What?) and he's directly to your left, get some solid value before screwing with him.
But since you did play it... a min-raise blatantly looks like a blind steal and overbetting the pot on the flop is a big mistake. He might have a Q, he might have KJ or J9. Your big bet screams you don't want a call and he probably noticed. That hand is just trouble.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:38 PM

In the first hand I think the pot bet might have been sorta weak.

My thinking after he pushed was that there was a pretty decent chance I was already ahead, and an even better chance that I had tons of clean outs. 11+ anyway As it turned out I was both ahead and had a better draw so I guess it worked out about as well as it could have (he was drawing to 1 out).

In the second hand I know the preflop play was pretty dumb (probably should have folded, but with the two biggest stacks in the tourney directly to my right, this seemed like a rare opportunity to make a play)

What about after the flop? I can't really put him on much of a range obviously, but it seems like 2nd pair might be a pretty strong hand here anyway.

Any thoughts there?
Old 07-19-2005, 05:47 PM

I am usually quiet for the orbit or two until I seperate the weak-tight, loose-call station, and maniacs at my table. I'll enter pots with them with almost any two cards looking to push them out of it when/if they miss the flop.

Smart, Aggressive play that is aimed at the proper targets, will take you very far in multi-tournaments.

I don't succumb to the "must win a few coinflips to go deep in the tourney" theory.. I've gone deep in plenty of them by avoiding coinflips and properly focusing my aggression on the best targets.

Win small pots, build up a nice stack.. and you'll surely catch a big hand every now and then to help along the way.. the more the better.

This is just my preferred style for MTT's. I'll lay down the best hand if my tournament life is at stake and my opponent has 40% shot at a draw.

Avoid big pots.. accumulate lots of chips from the weak players.. It works good for me..