Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 06-24-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Limping with AA/KK in EP: Always, sometimes, never?

Limped with KK in early position today,
with some success.
Now I dont want to be the victim of results oriented thinking,
so Id like to ask you how often do you do this with AA/KK?
What are the ideal conditons for limping?
When should you absolutely not do it?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+1 ($40.83)
UTG+2 ($23.94)
MP1 ($26.7)
MP2 ($20.4)
MP3 ($11)
CO ($6.46)
Button ($5.32)
SB ($31.85)
<font color="#C00000">BB ($7)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($35.08)</font>

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
Hero calls $0.25, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.5</font>, Hero calls $0.50, UTG+1 folds, SB folds.

Turn: ($2) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6.25</font>, BB calls $4.25 (All-In).

River: ($14.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $14.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 5s Ks (two pair, kings and fives).
Hero has Kh Kc (three of a kind, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins $14.50. </font>
Old 06-24-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Limping with AA/KK in EP: Always, sometimes, never?

i'll never limp w/ AA or KK. ever
Old 06-24-2005, 11:29 AM

I only do it when there is a maniac I almost can guarantee will raise for me so that I can limp reraise....or if there is one particular person I know will overplay their hands and i'm trying to trap....generally its a standard raise for me...i don't wanna get my aces cracked by the blind's 72 offsuit that I didn't raise out.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:37 AM

I raise so much other cheese that there's no reason for me to ever limp AA and KK. However, limping with the intention of raising is good if all the following conditions are met:

1) There is a very good chance somebody behind you will raise (a couple action players raising every hand, for example)
2) Your limp/reraise will be large enough to pot-commit yourself, thereby making postflop play trivially easy. The limp/reraise defines your hand so clearly that you can't afford to give somebody good implied odds to outflop you. If they take bad odds and outflop you anyway, that's just poker.

Limp/calling AA/KK is never a good idea unless the raise you are calling is large enough to pot commit you (which should rarely be the case unless you or the raiser are extremely short stacked).
Old 06-24-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Limp/calling AA/KK is never a good idea unless the raise you are calling is large enough to pot commit you (which should rarely be the case unless you or the raiser are extremely short stacked).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. Another question:
How much of your stack must go into the pot to make you commited?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:13 PM

From EP, I will limp with AA or KK if I think there's a good chance that someone will bet so I can check-raise. If nobody raises and several people see the flop, I'm prepared to let go of the hand. If a player does raise, I'll re-raise to try to get heads up.

From MP, I raise to limit the field. From LP, I always raise it. From the button, the blinds might think you're stealing. If they defend, you can re-pop them. If there are several callers and I'm in the BB, I'll make a big overbet with AA. I'm hoping someone will put me on a bluff steal out of the blinds and call.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. Another question:

[/ QUOTE ]

20% of either your stack or the raiser's stack, whichever is smaller. That's more of a rough estimate than a strict mathematical computation. Others might use a different figure.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. Another question:

[/ QUOTE ]

20% of either your stack or the raiser's stack, whichever is smaller. That's more of a rough estimate than a strict mathematical computation. Others might use a different figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know if this has been covered in another thread?
Would be interesting to hear peoples reasoning for this or that number,
specific circumstances etc.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:23 PM

flop is misplayed.

I hope you were limping with intention of limp reraising. and if you are limp reraising, don't limp reraise the min. you want to charge enough for the vast amount of info you are giving out.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:26 PM

its less to do with a specific number than just thinking about "how much will I or he have left if he calls and how much will be in the pot if he calls".

if you bet 20% of your stack and its not a big overbet, then if he calls, the pot will be 60% of your original stack on the next street so probably more like 75% of your remaining stack.