Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Recommendation for Battery Backup?

What should I be looking for in a battery back-up for a desktop? Want to avoid losing any big pots when a power outage hits. I'm thinking something that provides approximately 1 hour of backup should meet my needs.

Thanks,
Al
Old 05-22-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Recommendation for Battery Backup?

The capacity is the main thing. Most home users don't need anything too fancy. Something like this is probably enough for most home users. 500VA is enough to run an average computer for 15 mintues or so. If you want longer runtime, or if you've got a more power-hungry system (such as multiple CRT monitors) look for 1000 or 1500 VA.

Make sure you have enough outlets for your PC, display, cable/DSL modem, and firewall router.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:38 PM

1 hour of backup is extreme for any UPS, from 7-15 minutes for running the PC should be sufficient. Make sure you're protecting your DSL Modem phone line if you're using DSL, DSL Modems don't particularly like shocks, and ethernet cabling will fry a motherboard just like any other electrical line. An hour backup for running a PC with the monitor at the same time is going to be very expensive.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:42 PM

An hour of run time is overkill. Fifteen minutes should be more than enough to finish all your tables, check your e-mail, and do an orderly shut down. If a power outage lasts more than two or three minutes you should shut down and wait it out rather than hoping it comes back on before your battery dies. Make sure you get plenty of volt amps, however, since as the other poster said, you'll need to keep up your monitor, modem and router, external drives, USB hubs, and other critical equipment. All that adds up.

Blackouts lasting more than a minute are extremely rare, but momentary outages enough to crash your system and disconnect your internet connection come far more often.

I have a Minuteman 420 on my main system and an APC 350 on a less critical one. I also keep small ones on my TV and DVD recorder.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:55 PM

Thank you all for the feedback.

Al
Old 05-22-2005, 08:12 PM

I use the BACK-UPs Office; depending on what size you get, for $40-$150 you can have something that'll supply power long enough to play all your games around to the next bb.

There's also a guarantee: they pay to replace your computer (up to $5000) if it doesn't stop power surges.