Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Probability of suited cards

Hello,

I was curious about something in Hold 'em. I know the chances of getting dealt two suited cards is 1/4 (16 combinations of 4 suits, 4 of which are the same suit), but what are the chances, in a 10 handed game, of having two players behind dealt cards of the same suit? For some reason i've seen it a lot lately. Thank you for your insight.

- Jeff
Old 01-25-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Probability of suited cards

[ QUOTE ]
Hello,

I was curious about something in Hold 'em. I know the chances of getting dealt two suited cards is 1/4 (16 combinations of 4 suits, 4 of which are the same suit), but what are the chances, in a 10 handed game, of having two players behind dealt cards of the same suit? For some reason i've seen it a lot lately. Thank you for your insight.

- Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

This won't answer your question, but your probability is wrong -- disregarding the suit of the first card you are dealt, there are 12 cards of the same suit out of 51 possible cards to come, so the probability you have a "sooted" hand is 12/51 = 4/17. The mistake in your logic is that you disregard pocket pairs, which can't be suited (for example, 4/16 of the possible AK hands are suited, but 0/6 of the AA hands are)