Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2004, 12:10 PM

Default Yet another Israeli atrocity

An army commander is recorded on radio on and accused by his own troops of murdering an innocent thirteen year-old girl and what does he get charged with by the Israeli High Command? "Conduct unbecoming an officer" - as if he'd mistreated a dog or sworn in the presence of a lady.

"The official account claimed that Iman was shot as she walked towards an army post with her schoolbag because soldiers feared she was carrying a bomb.

But the tape recording of the radio conversation between soldiers at the scene reveals that, from the beginning, she was identified as a child and at no point was a bomb spoken about nor was she described as a threat. Iman was also at least 100 yards from any soldier .

Instead, the tape shows that the soldiers swiftly identified her as a "girl of about 10" who was "scared to death".

The tape also reveals that the soldiers said Iman was headed eastwards, away from the army post and back into the refugee camp, when she was shot.

At that point, Captain R took the unusual decision to leave the post in pursuit of the girl. He shot her dead and then "confirmed the kill" by emptying his magazine into her body. "

Israeli officer: I was right to shoot 13-year-old child
Old 11-25-2004, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Yet another Israeli atrocity

I think you left out some important facts:

There was more than one charge, but they are all minor:
-------------------------------------------------------
"Captain R, was charged this week with illegal use of his weapon, conduct unbecoming an officer and other relatively minor infractions"

Also, the events are even more tagic then you make them out to be:
-------------------------------------------------------------
Watchtower: "A girl of about 10, she's behind the embankment, scared to death."
A few minutes later, Iman is shot in the leg from one of the army posts.
The watchtower: "I think that one of the positions took her out."
The company commander then moves in as Iman lies wounded and helpless.
Captain R: "I and another soldier ... are going in a little nearer, forward, to confirm the kill ... Receive a situation report. We fired and killed her ... I also confirmed the kill. Over."
Witnesses described how the captain shot Iman twice in the head, walked away, turned back and fired a stream of bullets into her body.

Since the Major General of the Gaza strip found that he had "not acted unethically", and there is a talk about a "zone" it sounds like she was in a "shoot anything on site kill zone:. Is that right?

The story is still horrible, she was shot in the leg and he obviously knew she was a wounded immobilized 10 year old girl. The man is a murderer in my book. It is a sick and disgusting tragedy. I'm just wondering if the "zone" they are talking about is a death zone or not. I'm just trying to understand the legalities.

I'm also curious how many times 10 year old girls/boys have been used in suicide bombs. But considering that she was walking away when she was shot, that probably shouldn't be counted as a factor.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:05 PM

As of right now, I think the Captain should be shot in the balls.

But I don't know the truth, and I know more than to trust the Guardian to find it. I'll find out the story and get back to you on this.

If that's all the court could charge him with, there might be something else going on. In Israel, the justice system operates independently of government and thus the government can not influence charges laid or decisions, so such a travesty could not be an indictment of Sharon or Likud policy.

Maybe the evidence wasn't there (remember, it takes more to convict an Israeli in legal courts than in the court of nickyg).

Maybe a favour was called in, bribery, who knows.
Only a racist could turn the acts of one man into an "atrocity" of an entire nation.

This is not the kind of man Raful spent his life defending.

I'll find out the truth though, not what some reporter typed from her Jerusalem loft.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:17 PM

But it's okay for people to come into Israel with bombs, and blow up masses of people, kids included--right??
Old 11-25-2004, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But it's okay for people to come into Israel with bombs, and blow up masses of people, kids included--right??

[/ QUOTE ]

STFU. If you can't do any better than to point fingers in an irrelevant manner then do us all a favor and go suck a gun.

Tuco.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An army commander is recorded on radio on and accused by his own troops of murdering an innocent thirteen year-old girl and what does he get charged with by the Israeli High Command?

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice your subject title? Israel wasn't responsible for this, a whacked out soldier was. Are there no whacked out people where you live? Do you live in a crime-free society, where no people disobey the rules. The funniest part is that Israeli authorities are the ones who are charging and prosecuting the soldier. This differs to the palestinian community in that they, in the converse situation, would recieve money and praise.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:23 PM

Glad to hear you are going to go do some research. Before you do that however, why do you feel the need to start making up excuses for the "soldier"? Can't you just say:

"Wow, that sounds bad. Let me do some more research and get to the bottom of this."

It would greatly increase your credibility in your personal battle to be the Israeli appologist pooh bah.

While your at it, maybe you could tell us why it was okay to bulldoze Rachel Corrie, an obviously unarmed American protestor.
link

[ QUOTE ]
Only a racist could turn the acts of one man into an "atrocity" of an entire nation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, lets see. He is an Israeli, and he seems to have commited a horrible atrocity. That makes it, get ready for it, an Israeli atrocity. The word "Israeli" can decribe both an individual and a nation. English is so complex.

Both sides actions make me sick to my stomach on a daily basis. The argument is only who is more despicable.

Tuco.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:15 PM

While your at it, maybe you could tell us why it was okay to bulldoze Rachel Corrie, an obviously unarmed American protestor.

While anyone has to extend deepest condolences to her parents, it is absurd that an International Solidarity Movement (a group that has admitted some of its members have ties to Hamas, a terrorist organization) member would give up her life to defend an inanimate object. A house.

But I digress. Was Corrie a peace activist? Nobody with peace in mind would be caught burning an American flag and shouting anti-Israeli cheers! Peace activists promote peace, they do not side with one party in a conflict.

Where are all the peace activists confronting Islamic terror? North Korean totalitarianism? Chinese Communist despotism? None, because they know that if they protested those ideologies, they might actually get hurt.

So spare me your tears for her. Save them for her family.

So I don't know how she died. But I don't trust Palestinian or ISM eyewitnesses who undoubtedly have a clear anti-Israel bias.

Before you do that however, why do you feel the need to start making up excuses for the "soldier"?

I'm not making excuses for the soldier; I'll wait until I find out more about the specific case. I was shedding some light on why it might be that, IF this was indeed cold blood murder, he was charged with medium offenses. He wasn't exactly charged with jaywalking, but not murder either.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While anyone has to extend deepest condolences to her parents, it is absurd that an International Solidarity Movement (a group that has admitted some of its members have ties to Hamas, a terrorist organization) member would give up her life to defend an inanimate object. A house.

But I digress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you do. If you had nothing but a "house", then you might understand why its worth defending. Activists, like Corrie, defend people around the world that are in need. Thats what they do. I didnt say she was a peace activist. I do, however, suspect that she was a peaceful activist. Burning the flag is not an act of war. I don't agree with her. She was wrong to do alot of the things she did, but that doesnt make what the Israeli army did to her any less wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Where are all the peace activists confronting Islamic terror? North Korean totalitarianism? Chinese Communist despotism? None, because they know that if they protested those ideologies, they might actually get hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

More finger pointing and totally irrelevant. Are citizens wrong to protest for freedom in an oppressive state just because it would get them killed in some other country?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not making excuses for the soldier; I'll wait until I find out more about the specific case. I was shedding some light on why it might be that, IF this was indeed cold blood murder, he was charged with medium offenses. He wasn't exactly charged with jaywalking, but not murder either.

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed my point. I assume you want people to take you seriously and give weight to your arguments. Providing possible excuses before you have done any research undermines any objectivity you might have left.

Tuco.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:57 PM

Nobody with peace in mind would be caught burning an American flag and shouting anti-Israeli cheers!

Flag burning is peaceful, shouting is peaceful. Using Apache helicoptors to enforce collective punishment is not peaceful. Perhaps the IDF should try some peaceful protesting.