Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2004, 12:13 AM

Default 20-40 second pair vs. passive-meister

20-40 9-handed B&M. Villain is mid-late 60s man in his first orbit at the table, so no reads.

I'm on the button with J9s. UTG limps, UTG+1 (villain) limps, folded to me, I limp, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop is AA9 rainbow. Checked to UTG+1, who bets, I raise, folded to UTG+1 who calls. I figured that raising would clear out a number of players with overcards to my 9; even a J wouldn't make me very happy.

Turn is rag. UTG+1 checks, I bet, he calls.

River is rag. UTG+1 checks, I bet, he calls. Figured at this point that I'm likely to be good.

He shows JJ and takes the pot. No raise PF, no 3-bet on the flop; turns out this guy is virtually incapable of raising, but will call down with a wide range of good and mediocre hands.

Regardless of the outcome, any comments on the play?
Old 09-07-2004, 12:21 AM

Default Re: 20-40 second pair vs. passive-meister

I think your play is fine.

Now and then when I'm mixing it up or feeling testy, I'll raise preflop.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 09-07-2004, 12:30 AM

I think you can consider checking behind on the river especially if he's passive enough to play an ace with a weak kicker this way but betting isn't a huge mistake.

His play was fine except for his preflop limp. A more aggressive line on his part would probably have folded out a 9, which he doesn't really want to do, and wouldn't have done him any good if you did in fact have an ace.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:40 AM

what an idiot superfish. why would he let you bet your 2-outer when he could have taken it down uncontested with more aggressive flop play?
Old 09-07-2004, 01:06 AM

The guy isn't an idiot superfish, mainly just passive/calling station to the extreme. You're right about the flop, though - he'd have lost me to a 3-bet, so just calling my raise was the correct play. He could have been somewhat more aggressive on a later street, though, if he in fact did read (correctly) my flop raise to indicate that I did not have an ace.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:49 AM

You seem really to like your hand. I'm not sure why...
Old 09-07-2004, 06:52 AM

Raising a passive player who bets into a rainbow no draw board of AA9 dosent sound like good poker to me. If your analysis of this guy is correct, I think you have a fold on the flop rather than a raise. You also mentioned the need to get the overcards to your 9 behind you out? You mean people in this game will call behind a bettor and a caller with a hand like....KQ...JQ...what? This is 20-40 right?

Mike Emery
Old 09-07-2004, 09:07 AM

I believe AJo was being facetious. As Nate said, the your opponent played it fine except for the pre-flop limp.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:14 AM

you gave too much action. When he can call a flop raise, you are looking to put no more money in the pot, or as little as possible. anyone who can beat you, will stay in the pot, and almost no one who doesn't have at least a 9 (which, granted, will be worse than yours often) would bet the flpo, call the flop raise, AND call a big bet.

It's 50/50 he has an ace or a nine, but we know he's more likely he has an ace, and he may also have a pocket pair, which will beat you almost every time he calls a big bet. Therefore, every penny you put in this pot after the flop is almost -100% EV. The only cases you make money is a bet fragment against a worse 9 (as these will chop frequently)

Dan Z.

Dan Z.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm on the button with J9s. UTG limps, UTG+1 (villain) limps, folded to me, I limp, SB completes, BB checks.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you feel you HAD to play this hand why did you limp?
With only one early limper and two players left to act folding seems like a better plan. If you are going to play...RAISE. Get a clue as to where your hand stands. Maybe you get head up and take this pot with a bet on the flop. When you limped you showed you didn't have big cards.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop is AA9 rainbow. Checked to UTG+1, who bets, I raise

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course he bets into you. You didn't show any strength pre flop. If you had a Ace you wouldn't raise driving out two checkers left to act. Your raise says I don't have an Ace! (Who says one of the checkers isn't slowplaying a big hand.) You just made UTG+1 go into check call mode. If you catch a mircale you won't make any more money. He won't be betting into again unless a J comes that really screws you.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn is rag. UTG+1 checks, I bet, he calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope he bets the river so I can muck my cheese without showing.
[ QUOTE ]
River is rag. UTG+1 checks, I bet, he calls. Figured at this point that I'm likely to be good.

[/ QUOTE ]
He didn't check call the turn with a hand that you could beat, or a hand he would lay down to your river bet.