Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 12:27 AM

Default Fold QQ overpair on the flop?

20-40, 9-handed game at Garden City. Table has a mix of everything from LAG to TP. Player in question, BB, seems to be a solid and sane player if somewhat easily read. In the hour and a half or so that you've been at the table (~60 hands) he's has played very few hands and may have won only one. He's stuck a fair amount and could be on the verge of tilt but so far you've never seen he do anything out of line.

Folded to you on the button, you open raise with QQ. SB folds. BB 3-bets, you 4-bet, he instantly 5-bets (no cap HU), you call.

Flop is Txx rainbow.
BB bets, you raise, he 3-bets in tempo, you call.

Turn is Q.
BB bets, you raise, he raises all-in, you call.

River is a blank.
BB shows AA, your hand is good.

Comments? Despite the win, did you take this too far, too early? Obviously, you can't muck to the PF 5-bet even if shown AA (or KK - it's hard to put BB on anything else at this point) as you're getting odds to flop a set.

I'm really wondering about the flop play. When the BB bets out, you're getting 11:1 pot odds to call one SB. In the ideal case, the implied odds could go as high as, say, 21:1, assuming that the BB has enough chips and will call a four bet on the turn and a bet on the river; since he's about to go all-in, though, the best you can really get is ~17:1. Given this, would anyone be willing to muck to BB's flop bet?
Old 08-17-2004, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Fold QQ overpair on the flop?

This is a Button versus blinds confrontation so I think it's probably wrong to assume that he needs exactly AA or KK order to 5-bet; that said I think he's going to have one of those two hands a pretty good percentage of the time.

Meanwhile, the 5-bet has made the pot so large that I can't imagine folding before showdown unless the board gets really scary.

That leads me to believe that calling down is the best play, starting with the flop. Don't fold.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Fold QQ overpair on the flop?

[ QUOTE ]
BB bets, you raise, he 3-bets in tempo, you call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your play was pretty good for the most part, but I think you should respect his preflop 5-bet and call down without improvement. Your raise on the flop just cost you one more big bet.

The way you played, there's 16.5 bets in the pot asking you to pay one. I think you can peel one off here to spike a queen for the implied odds if you have the discipline to fold the turn on a rag.

Garland