Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-28-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: 67s on the button, 8 to the flop, i flop top pair

[ QUOTE ]
If you throw out a bad hand like T2o and a good hand like AA as potential hands for your opponents, why does that necessarily change the hero's random hand equity? In other words, won't those two hands offset each other?

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you really think that AA and T2o would hold equal amounts of equity in this pot?
Old 12-28-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it seems to me if the opponents don't have random hands, then the hero's equity is even less. So, how does making that statement support the argument that the hero has plenty of equity to bet/raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
If our 7 opponents have random hands that will include AA-77 and 55/33. In this case it's not likely that anyone of the 7 opponents holds these hands which means we're in better shape than being up against 7 random hands. When they call they won't have hold a hand like T2o or AA...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not following that argument. If you throw out a bad hand like T2o and a good hand like AA as potential hands for your opponents, why does that necessarily change the hero's random hand equity? In other words, won't those two hands offset each other?

In addition, it seems to me that people entering the pot are, on average, going to have better than random hands, which would serve to reduce the hero's equity versus the random hand equity.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since there are 8 players to the flop these hands are pretty close to random. I guess they will still fold hands such as 52o but they will play T9o and like, but in this spot the hand that would have gotten folded preflop will have higher equity than the hand the would have gotten played (partly because the flop contains low rags). In a random range we will also include weird 2-pair such as 73/53, these hands will probably not have gotten played preflop either. They're more like to hold Q9/K8 and such. What I'm trying to say is that the hands that usually will get folded preflop is the ones that have hit the flop, so their equity isn't that much lower on average than Q9/K8/JT hands.

Ans it's not until they call the flop bet we assume their hands have considerably better equity than a random hand. However, since there are no preflop raise or flop bet we can pretty much out rule AA-77 and 55/33, and probably also 75/73/53 and A7/K7.

I don't know if I explained myself very well, please ask again if my explanation sucks...
Old 12-28-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're supposed to raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he is not. This is Party 2/4 - not live 200/400!