Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Poker on the resume...

This post has to be a humor post.

[ QUOTE ]
I felt it to be relatively safe and may have been a good conversation starter. The interviewer, who happened to be the director of that corporation, said that he didn't want any gamblers working for him because they are loose canons with poor self control and prone to become degenerates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta be.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Generally, I only use the "interests" section as a way to guide the interview to those topics. If they can't talk about those subjects, that's bad (e.g., I had one interviewee who listed boxing as his hobby. I asked about several recent PPVs and HBO fights. He hadn't seen any of them. If you don't actually watch boxing, don't list it as a hobby).

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't your interviewee like actually boxing, but not watching it?

I'm a pro poker player who does quite well. For me poker has progressed well beyond hobby into actual employment. I never, ever watch poker on TV--haven't seen any of the 2005 WSOP, or any of the WPT events or celebrity poker or anything. I couldn't so much as discuss a single hand that's happened during any of those events.

Would the phrase, "If you don't actually watch poker, don't list it as a hobby" apply to me?
Old 12-16-2005, 02:04 PM

poker on resume = no job
after you get the job u can mention to coworkers you enjoy playing poker, they may even have a game or two they can get u in on, but in the resume - the general profiler for a gambler is not the type of people that person wants to higher.

i personally see alot of coworkers out of my work, but never any of my bosses
so considering the person who is interviewing you will be your bos(who you dont want to c out of work) not your coworkers that you want to spend tim e out of work with,
Old 12-16-2005, 02:24 PM

Good point. This guy doing the interview was likely not the founder of anything whatsoever. Starting any business is usually incredibly risky during the first 18 months and the likelyhood the "director" started any kind fo business is very remote.

On the other hand this post reads like a joke. It smalls like a joke. It's a joke right?
Old 12-16-2005, 04:40 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

there are plenty of rock climbers that wouldn't gamble too. how is this surprising to you?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:10 AM

If you are going for a job where you sit at a computer all day, I would also think that bells would go off in the interviewer's head and he'd be worried about you downloading poker software at work and having productivity go down the tubes.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you think leaving poker on my resume is +EV or -EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

is there any way that we can start banning people for this?

i mean, maybe just a temporary thing, but seriously. seriously.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:49 AM

I am in a professional position and I would not look favorably upon a candidate that lists poker as a hobby (and I play 5-8 hours a week).

Listing hobbies and interests usually means that your real credentials ended midway through the page and you needed filler. If this is the case pick something that shows an interest in exerice, the outdoors or some other social function.