Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 11:15 PM

Default Thoughts on this play very early in PP Friday Special

This hand occured in the first 5 minutes of the tourney. Thought about folding after he bet on the flop, as his preflop raise scared the hell out of me.

***** Hand History for Game 3173726835 *****
NL Texas Hold'em Trny:18141324 Level:1 Blinds (10/15) - Friday, December 09, 01:03:23 EDT 2005
Table Friday Special(535425) Table #83 (Real Money)
Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: MightieMite ( $1040 )
Seat 2: robert07 ( $985 )
Seat 3: galasto ( $1000 )
Seat 4: poogeyman ( $1000 )
Seat 5: Nameless2 ( $820 )
Seat 6: jlh9287 ( $1170 )
Seat 7: Carefreegal6 ( $965 )
Seat 8: AssaniFisher ( $985 )
Seat 9: insider098 ( $995 )
Seat 10: genci333 ( $1000 )
Trny:18141324 Level:1
Blinds (10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to AssaniFisher [ Qc Qs ]
genci333 folds.
MightieMite folds.
robert07 folds.
galasto folds.
poogeyman folds.
Nameless2 folds.
jlh9287 folds.
Carefreegal6 folds.
AssaniFisher raises [35].
insider098 raises [85].
AssaniFisher calls [55].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 4c, 9d, 2h ]
AssaniFisher checks.
insider098 bets [150].
AssaniFisher raises [500].
insider098 is all-In [745]
AssaniFisher is all-In [385]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 4s ]
** Dealing River ** [ Tc ]
AssaniFisher shows [ Qc, Qs ] two pairs, queens and fours.
insider098 shows [ Ac, 9s ] two pairs, nines and fours.
insider098 wins 10 chips from side pot #1 with two pairs, nines and fours.
AssaniFisher wins 1970 chips from the main pot with two pairs, queens and fours.

My basic thought process:

Usually preflop I'd raise more, but in the SB when everyone else has folded, I would surely win nothing all with too big of a bet, so I just raised 3x BB.

His re-raised scared me like crazy. Call was a no-brainer however, as I would've even called a 55 chip raise with 22 just for the chance to double up with a flopped set. Should I have re-raised? I thought about it, but you must admit that him re-raising my raise was pretty scary, and I definitely did not want to go all in with a coin flip(against AK), as I view myself as one of the stronger players who should avoid such situations when possible.

Wanted to see what he'd do after the flop, so I checked. Honestly a 150 bet was about the worst thing I could've seen- I knew that he thought he had a hand because this bet was just right(betting significantly more would've made me think that hes trying to get me out, betting less would've made me think that hes just throwing out a feeler, and in the case of the latter, I could still lay down the hand even after I raised).

However I decided that there were a lot more hands he could have that were good for me than bad for me, including quite a few that he would probably call my big bet with(A9, TT, JJ, and maybe even some lower PPs depending upon how loose he is-remember this is very early in the tourney where loose and crazy play can be expected).

I hate to committ to an all-in so early, especially when I'm so unsure. Thoughts on this hand?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on this play very early in PP Friday Special

I like your line here. People can do some crazy things in the blinds when it gets heads up. You disguised your hand very well and got him to commit with a much worse hand.

If I'm unlucky enough to get QQ in the SB and run into AA or KK then this wasn't meant to be my tourney.