Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Bonuses

Old 12-07-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: PartyPoker.com’s $1,000,000 Touchdown Promotion

[ QUOTE ]
Just be thankful it doesn't involve point spreads. (Yet)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm picturing a "who will score the first TD in the XXX game?" for question #8.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just be thankful it doesn't involve point spreads. (Yet)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm picturing a "who will score the first TD in the XXX game?" for question #8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially if it is a Bears game. You have to figure which guy on the Chicago defense is going to score.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:03 PM

great promo for an european fellow with no clue about american football like myself. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

another time to be glad for 2+2...
Old 12-07-2005, 03:10 PM

It's Atlanta folks.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:15 PM

Even if it's a bunch of A-or-B questions it is incorrect to assume that it is 1:32 of getting all 5 correct.

As the first question shows, just because there are 2 choices does not make it a 50/50 proposition.
Atlanta is a significant favorite in this game obviously.

With 2 choices the WORST it can be is 50/50.
If you have any knowledge of football at all then some of these questions will be 60% or higher.

Atlanta has to be a least a 75% favorite to win this game.
Somebody posted that the betting-line on ATL was -600 meaning that the handicappers and sports-bettors out there are making them an even bigger favorite than that.

So that's some of the math behind it.
However...it's also worth noting that this promotion is kind of stupid.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:21 PM

This game is at the Alamodome here so the Saints will have a pretty big crowd pulling for them for a change. Might be enough to pull the upset.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:28 PM

Uhhhh, I don't know why you guys are so upset. Would you rather they made it a trivia game so that 70,000 people could google it and Party would wind up paying each player like $15.00 at the end. Cmon you guys, are saying its a stupid promotion cuz their not giving you money for correctly using a search engine.

If anything this will make the games on Sunday more fun to watch.

Go Atlanta!
Old 12-07-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhhhh, I don't know why you guys are so upset. Would you rather they made it a trivia game so that 70,000 people could google it and Party would wind up paying each player like $15.00 at the end. Cmon you guys, are saying its a stupid promotion cuz their not giving you money for correctly using a search engine.

If anything this will make the games on Sunday more fun to watch.

Go Atlanta!

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course we would rather they have an easy trivia game where we can just google the answers. That's a free $815. If they continue to ask questions like this, most people probably won't make more than $200, and the chances of anyone winning a share of the million dollars are terrible. The million dollar prize is just a gimmick to draw people's attention.

[edited to add]
But I'm not going to blame party poker for running the promotion this way. There's no way it could possibly be profitable for party poker to make the trivia questions ridiculously easy. Say 50,000 people got all 40 questions right (if anything, that estimate might be a little low). Party would have to shell out (50,000x$800)+$1,000,000= 41 MILLION DOLLARS. Not to mention millions of dollars for people who didn't do the questions every week. You're kidding yourself if you think this would be reasonable for party poker to do and that this is what party poker should have done.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:14 PM

actually this isn't true.

If they ask a series of 70/30 questions it is very unlikely that they will have several players with perfect scores.
It is extremely likely that there wil be an upset somewhere along the way that knocks out a majority of their players.

You may have slight EV by going against the grain on a pick or two where you feel the public is going to strongly side one way but you feel differently and believe it to be a 50/50 proposition.
That way, if your pick was correct then lots of other players would be knocked out while you were still alive (to win a bigger share of the million bucks of course).

I agree with the previous poster that N.O. does have a chance in this game.
If the odds were long enough I would be very inclined towards betting N.O. for the upset.
But for a pure 50/50 proposition like in the Party question one should likely play it safe and just with ATL. I don't believe that N.O.'s chances are strong enough to warrant bucking the trend on this pick.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
actually this isn't true.

If they ask a series of 70/30 questions it is very unlikely that they will have several players with perfect scores.
It is extremely likely that there wil be an upset somewhere along the way that knocks out a majority of their players.

You may have slight EV by going against the grain on a pick or two where you feel the public is going to strongly side one way but you feel differently and believe it to be a 50/50 proposition.
That way, if your pick was correct then lots of other players would be knocked out while you were still alive (to win a bigger share of the million bucks of course).

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I'm confused. When did I say I thought there would be several people who would win a share of the million dollars? I agree with what you said. I think it's very unlikely anyone will win because most people will get knocked out on an upset, or will incorrectly pick a team to upset. Unless you replied to the wrong poster.

[edited to add]
Maybe you were confused when I said "most people won't win more than $200. What I meant was $200 from the weekly 5 game parlays they have where 4/5 nets $50 and 5/5 nets $100.