Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-05-2005, 04:56 AM

Default 2/4 - Rivered Straight on Paired Board

Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed) converter
CO (~$600) Seem like a decent player
BB (Hero) (~$700) I have a slightly loose image, have shown some bluffs
2/4 NL

Preflop:
CO raises to $16, I call in BB with 77.

Flop ($32): 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, CO bets $24.

Turn ($80): 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, CO bets $40, BB calls.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

BB bets $120, CO raises thinks for 5 seconds and goes all-in $400, BB ???.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:55 AM

Default Re: 2/4 - Rivered Straight on Paired Board

Well, he can probably put you pretty squarely on a 7 here, since I don't see a set or two pair not putting in a raise somewhere before the river. We can probably rule out a complete bluff since he doesn't know if you're capable of laying down a 7 here.

So you are hoping for a split at best. On the end you are calling 400 to win 800, so you'd have to split...
x*400 - (1-x)*400 = 0
x=50% of the time (check my math)

It's pretty much a judgment call, then... like I said, a good player is going to know to push with a 7 here a lot, unless you've shown him a boat in the past on similar occasions, but if he's just decent he might be a little timid and tend to call with a straight here, especially in the heat of battle.

Plus his action up until the river makes a boat a little more likely, since his turn bet could very likely be a monster hand looking to price you in. Hands like 97 usually check behind, since he doesn't particularly want to priced off a weak made hand with outs to improve.

Also, did you consider leading the turn? I think it's going to be very hard to bluff raise you on the turn on this board... and hands like 9T will almost always just flat-call, giving you a chance to hit your draw. On this board, I would think if you get raised on the turn your outs aren't clean anyway (except for possibly a 7). Plus you get to protect your hand against overcards and you still have outs to improve against a 9 or an 8.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: 2/4 - Rivered Straight on Paired Board

Was villian a solid player?
Whats your read on him?

I think you should fold the turn. you could be drawing dead.

you might want to consider a C/R on the flop.