Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: something to think about if you play the $55s+

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

One pair hands played post flop usually don't win big pots but they sure lose them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is soooooo not true in sng poker. Ring games, you're bang on, but this is really untrue here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go into PT and see how you do on each type of shown down hands. I'm not at my PT computer right now, but last time I checked one pair hands were red. (Of course some of the time you will improve on the river and not show down a one pair hand here). In the 30's, I would be more apt to bet against a little known player, but not a whole lot. (Again, I am talking deeper stack levels).

[/ QUOTE ]

1) i'm not by my pokertracker at the moment, but last i checked i was massively up on all hands in all stakes games except high card hands.

2) the vast majority of the players in this forum have no idea how to play post flop, let alone play post flop well. you clearly do know how to play some poker, but this needs to be pointed out. it is at the root of my response to this post and the origin of this thread.

3) the idea is to get more money in when you're ahead than when you're behind.

4) everyone wants to get better at that. everyone needs to get better at that.

5) getting someone to pour off piles of stack when you have one pair and it's good is an artform. it is the artform that this thread is a tiny fraction of.

citanul
Old 12-04-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

5) getting someone to pour off piles of stack when you have one pair and it's good is an artform. it is the artform that this thread is a tiny fraction of.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

I reasonably mechanical about that. If I don't have a read I usually don't push one pair hands. With a read, I often get lots of chips in the center by showdown with some pretty marginal holdings (in cash games, too, but in cash games I tend to get more reads since I see a lot more hands against someone (and can pay attention to them better not 8 tabling) and there are not weird escalating blinds to figure in.) Additionally with reads I let go of some pretty strong hands pre and post flop. Reads rule.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

One pair hands played post flop usually don't win big pots but they sure lose them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is soooooo not true in sng poker. Ring games, you're bang on, but this is really untrue here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go into PT and see how you do on each type of shown down hands. I'm not at my PT computer right now, but last time I checked one pair hands were red. (Of course some of the time you will improve on the river and not show down a one pair hand here). In the 30's, I would be more apt to bet against a little known player, but not a whole lot. (Again, I am talking deeper stack levels).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my hard drive just got wiped clean the other day... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]... which will make final exams fun to write... but anyways, with it I lost my whole PT database. Regardless, if you're losing money on one pair hands I think you have a problem. I know for sure that over 1500 I wasn't. Your comment just sounded like on a K87 two tone I'm not willing to get it all in with AK, or on a QT4 board I'm not willing to get it in with AA, and in almost every circumstance you should be fine with that in a sng, whereas in a ring game where you're deeper and play is different you maybe should not be. This thread is so general it's really hard to go on, but there are a lot of spots in sng's where I'm looking to get it all-in with one pair. Sure there are spots where I need to exercise pot control, but I think extracting value with one pair (one good pair...) takes precendence over this the vast majority of the time.