Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-03-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Horray, 1st 10-20 hand post

[ QUOTE ]
As you can see, when you don't cap AA preflop we deviate from the fundamental theorem of poker. More importantly, we leave ourselves increasingly susceptible to more major deviations from the Theorem post-flop. Bad, bad, bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to add that this is the most persuasive reason I've seen for capping. I spend so much energy trying to figure out whether I can trick my opponent into putting in an extra bet, that I forget that such ploys often end up merely tricking myself into more difficult situations.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:58 PM

Thanks Wynton,

I started agreeing with adam and realized that there was 1 circumstance that I felt flat-calling would be beneficial...but against that opponent and in those circumstances i would probably either A) never cap or B) cap tons of stuff.

Surf
Old 12-03-2005, 03:41 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments. I guess with my inital hand post I should of included as much info as I can. I have played all 400 hands I have on him againist him at the table. I am ruthless with blind stealing and take it from there. I wanted to play a little trick on this guy instead of just capping and then betting the flop showing him I mean business.

I think he is the type of player that would cap with AJ and up along with even 99 and up againist me. No matter what the flop was I would of waited to pump the turn unless an ace came on the flop. I think I have the image to him that I am really only betting and continuing to fire when I have nothing. I figured the best way to get bets out of him was to wait.

Given the turn action, I would of put him on a AJs, 99, QQ, and KK even KQs about 80% of the time and TT or JJ 20% of the time. I truly thought he would of checked the river to me where I would of bet/called.

I dont know how much action I would of lost on the flop if I just hit it hard from the getgo.

This is definitely not a "standard" play for me but trying to incorporate some different lines especially playing againist a player that I see frequently.

Villian showed QQ which at least made me feel like a good player for a whole 2 minutes. I know in this instance I earned more this hand than if I played it as hard and fast as possible. It just got me thinking if this is "acceptable" say once every 3 times in this situation.

Thanks for the comments once again.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:59 PM

Step1: make a note on him that he overplays overpairs.
Step2: Profit.

Nh. It sounds like you were comfortable generating this excess action against this player because you knew he'd put that many bets in with a 1 pair hand. It's important to recognize that, and act on it, which it looks like you did [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Surf
Old 12-03-2005, 05:21 PM

Cap PF because you should cap many weaker hands in this spot as well. A cap won't lose you any action. The places to not cap AA/KK PF are those where A.) capping would narrow your range to a very small/strong group of hands and B.) you are against an opponent who knows that and will respond accordingly.

Postflop on this hand I think you should call down after the turn 3-bet.