Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-30-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Baseball HOF Ballot...Anybody Getting In This Year???

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Morris wasn't so great. His WS performance was badass, but that alone doesn't make him a HOFer.

My thought is, if you can remove one game from a player's resume and make him look less than HOF-worthy, then he shouldn't get in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which of his 254 career wins do you want to take away?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wins don't do a whole lot for me. They're SO team-dependent. I'd rather look at other numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wins is the just the starting point in evaluating a starters career. Over the course of a long career, it's very likely that "team dependant" is going to come close to evening out. Especially now that there is free agency and pitchers basically get to choose who they pitch for.

My main point was that, while Morris probably isn't a HOF caliber pitcher, i'd say he was great. Anybody who thinks otherwise doesn't remember the '80s.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:20 AM

Santo will eventually get in. The increasingly awareness of sabermetrics, plus the sympathy with which he will be remembered because of his health problems, will put him in. He definitely should be there.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:53 AM

Santo is doesn't belong in the HOF. I'm a Cubs fan and I am sickened by the constant begging. There is no shame in being a very good MLB player.
Letting every pretty good player in just because they happened to play for a team that has a big fanbase that lobbies hard will totally demean the hall. Any inference that his health should be a factor is even more absurd.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Santo is doesn't belong in the HOF.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many third basemen do you think are better than him?
Old 12-01-2005, 05:04 PM

To be perfectly honest, not a whole lot, but I don't support the idea that the lack of 3rd basemen in the hall should increase his chances. I just don't believe that he should get any more consdieration than say Dale Murphy just because he happened to play 3rd while Murphy played OF.
To be fair, I should mention that I'm far tougher on guys getting in than most people, and that Santo wouldn't be totally undeserving. I will also admit that I am turned off by the open campaining, which is resembling begging more and more all the time.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:51 PM

I don't think Raffy should make the hall, because he cheated and perjured. I don't care if a player does coke because it can only negatively affect their play. That being said defintley many voters would not vote for him because of the coke problems.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:32 AM

I am also a person who thinks that the HoF should be obscenely tough to get into. I don't think that Tony Perez or Orlando Cepeda belong. I am on the fence with Jim Rice, but IMO he is one of those measuring stick players, ie, if you were a better player then him, then you belong, if not, then bye bye.

I also don't think that Santo belongs. His constant campaigning just doesn't jive with me at all. Its also how Tony perez got in. If you cry about it long enough then you will get in. On this list I don't really see that many HoF worthy canidates. I don't have a problem that there might be no players voted in the by the writers this year, to be in the HoF is a massive honor and should only go to the greatest of the greats
Old 12-02-2005, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am also a person who thinks that the HoF should be obscenely tough to get into.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it would be great for the HOF to have a year where no one gets in. That would send a message that players get in on merit, not based on someone having to go in. I'm not saying that should happen this year, but it would stand in stark contrast to the Pro Football HOF which says that at least x players must get in every year.