Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Re: $241k stripper tab

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So the fact that the guy got super wasted absolves him of all guilt? Good thing he didn't drive home that night and kill somebody, or rape a 8 year old, or else he'd still be out and roaming the streets!

[/ QUOTE ]

Being drunk invalidates the contractual agreement made during a credit card purchase. A person cannot give consent while drunk. The merchant should know this and realize they might get stiffed. I've gotten out of hotel stays that I do not remember with this little gem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way oversimplistic but close. You cannot merely cry drunk and get out of a contract but if you feed someone alcohol and try to hold him to a contract, good luck.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So the fact that the guy got super wasted absolves him of all guilt? Good thing he didn't drive home that night and kill somebody, or rape a 8 year old, or else he'd still be out and roaming the streets!

[/ QUOTE ]

Being drunk invalidates the contractual agreement made during a credit card purchase. A person cannot give consent while drunk. The merchant should know this and realize they might get stiffed. I've gotten out of hotel stays that I do not remember with this little gem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way oversimplistic but close. You cannot merely cry drunk and get out of a contract but if you feed someone alcohol and try to hold him to a contract, good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is pretty much what happenned here. The article I read made it appear like the CEO did not have a clear memory of what he did and did not authorize. His defense wasn't so much "I didn't authorize this" as "its not possible that I authorized this much." A place that serves alcohol has a duty to cut you off if you start getting too drunk, and it appears that this was not done here.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:48 AM

I think the weirdest part is the water. If people are getting free drinks, they are not going nuts with water. Especially the strip club crowd. Nor would a hot shot CEO start yelling "Another round of water for everybody!"
Old 10-24-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the weirdest part is the water. If people are getting free drinks, they are not going nuts with water. Especially the strip club crowd. Nor would a hot shot CEO start yelling "Another round of water for everybody!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it was Wet T Shirt night?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:57 PM

From Footnoted.org [ QUOTE ]
What else are they hiding?
October 24th, 2005

Lost in the coverage of the $241,000 Savvis Communications (SVVS) Chairman and CEO Rob McCormick spent at Scores, an upscale strip club in Manhattan, was the fact that the company reported third quarter results on the same day the story broke. Hmmm…wonder which one the PR person fielded more calls on?

Although the Daily News story talked about McCormick’s history as a hard partier, I was unable to find any disclosure in the company’s SEC filings about out of control expenses for strippers. Indeed, under “all other income” last year, the company only listed a measly $6,500 for McCormick for 401-K contributions.

Also interesting in the proxy were the six-plus pages devoted to related-party transactions. For a small company whose proxy was 50 pages, that’s an awful lot. One of the new disclosures is that McCormick’s brother and sister-in-law were on the Savvis payroll. Though it’s not clear from the filing how long both have been employed by Savvis, brother Rob made $210K last year and SIL Missy made $115K. So it seems like the strip club bills aren’t the only things Savvis hasn’t been particularly forthcoming on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like this guy is very free and easy with his company's monies.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From Footnoted.org [ QUOTE ]
UPDATE It looks like Rob will now have plenty of time to think about his penchant for big-time spending. Shortly after 8 p.m. tonight, the company announced that he was on an unpaid leave of absence and that the audit committee had launched an investigation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-09-2005, 03:15 PM

Note to self: never walk in to Scores with a credit card on my person.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

TOWN AND COUNTRY, Mo., Nov. 24 (AP) - The chairman and chief executive of Savvis Inc. has resigned after an investigation into a $241,000 bill he charged to a corporate American Express card at a New York City topless club in 2003.

Savvis issued a statement on Wednesday saying it had accepted the resignation of the official, Robert McCormick, after the inquiry by its audit committee was completed.

"The board has determined that it is in the best interest of the company to accept Mr. McCormick's resignation," said Clyde Heintzelman, head of the audit committee.

The company, which provides corporate networking services, said Jack Finlayson would be acting chief executive. He has been Savvis's president and chief operating officer and a director of the company since 2000.

Mr. McCormick, 40, of Clayton, Mo., had been on unpaid leave while Savvis investigated the bill. He had previously said through a lawyer for Savvis that he was the victim of fraud.

Mr. McCormick was paid $607,500 last year in salary and bonus. Savvis did not say whether he would receive any severance.

[/ QUOTE ]