Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-22-2005, 06:09 AM

Default Re: Is there a point where I stop raising here?

Well if we take just the turn, he called your bet for 36. If he had one out, he'd be 47:1 to win so he'd have to win about $1700 from you on the river to show a "profit" from his turn play. Turns out you were in worse shape, since his AA only has to make up about $850, but that's offset by the bet or 50 bets he loses on the river when he doesn't hit.

With 33 on the flop he was a 2256 to 1 dog if he held 33.

For the 24 he paid to see the turn, assuming he only continues if a 3 hits and only calls your bet for a total of 27, it looks like he needs to make about $60,000 from you to make it worth his while. I think you're safe to put that last $100 in there.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:06 PM

Look at it this way.

There is no hand that he could bring to 20 bets on the flop that he could conceivably have that would make sense. If he's bringing it to 13 bets with 3/3 on a flop with 3 overcards, he's just as likely to bring any full house to 50 (or whatever) bets with any full house. I'd say it's more likely.

If you're risk neutral, repeated raises are necessary. If you aren't risk neutral (say, the chips on the table are needed for rent money), then you could make an argument for not raising all of it.
[ QUOTE ]
But seriously... if it was NL, I would have called an all-in, so in this case, I would definitely keep raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Horribly flawed way of thinking, and probably not too much off from what the guy with aces was thinking when he raised an absurd amount of bets there with such a vulnerable hand.

In this situation, yeah, you probably should be getting it all in except against someone who really does know what theyre doing (and also thinks that you know that you know what you're doing).

The two situations aren't analogous. Because you're willing to push/call an all in for that amount in a no limit game doesnt mean you should raise repeatedly to get all in when the game is LHE.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:41 PM

I can't wait until I invent a working time machine so I can go back in time before people didn't know as much about how to play and play against them.

Or I could just sell the time machine I guess.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't wait until I invent a working time machine so I can go back in time before people didn't know as much about how to play and play against them.

Or I could just sell the time machine I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, those were the good old days. Of course the caveat is that I didn't know as much about how to play either. My poker education at that point consisted of reading a non 2+2 book that taught me to play "tight" by only playing hands that had a blackjack value of 20 or greater, to bet the hell out of hands when I hit, and how to calculate "pot odds" for drawing hands (no mention of implied odds though, I didn't learn about those till much later).
Old 11-23-2005, 03:07 PM

Playing 6/12 limit at Harrahs in New Orleans last year, I had almost the exact same situation come up (I had top FH, only thing that would beat me was quads). On the river, after about 8 raises I looked at the guy and asked if he just wanted to go ahead and push the rest of his stack in. He just called and mucked when I flipped over my hand. I think that my asking him about pushing all-in was a -EV move...lol

To answer the OP's question, I am raising until one of us is out of chips in this hand.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:45 PM

Anyone love Villians donkbets on the turn and river. hahaha
Old 11-23-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone love Villians donkbets on the turn and river. hahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was one of the (many) things that threw me on this hand while I was playing it. He was always the one who closed the action by calling, yet he would lead on the following street. When he donkbetted the turn after that x came, I just figured hey, more money for me with the nuts, but when he donk-betted the river after that second x came, it added to my concern after about 50 bets or so that i might not have the best hand.