Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 12:43 AM

Default let me know

When I'm playing in 2,3, or 4 table tourneys on Pokerstars, I find that the higher the Donkie level, the more I find myself let him do the betting for me. For instance: I'm holding KJs on the button and opened with a 3x raise PF, I get two callers. The flop comes 7 10 j rainbow. He bets 80 and I call, the turn shows a queen, he min bets again and I call with 2nd pr., the river has a blank and he bets 100, I call and we split holding the same hand. Not that his play was totally donkified (or at all for that matter), but I think over betting is something that more experienced players can benefit from. calling rather than raising depending on the situation

I find myself calling far more the less experience there is at the table, I just let them do the betting for me. This tactic is based on the premise that beginners games are based on bluffs and stealing. The hallmark of a young player is how much he tries to bluff when playing legit is more profitable at that stage in play.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: let me know

If you call more often than you raise...that makes you a "calling station." Don't become one.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:11 AM

I'd raise on the flop to see where I stood about 3x his bet. If he quickly goes all in, I reevaluate the situation, and ask myself how likely I am beaten here (5 probable hands, 89s, TJ, and JA, along with possible sets, while I probably wouldn't be ahead of much else that would call here (QK perhaps, maybe AT if hes a loose caller) and could take it from there.

IMO, if I got a good position, I am going to take advantage of it. The times that people fold a better or tied hand when I do this is much better for me than the times that I call someone down every street holding a hand that was beaten from the start.

Plus, raising there spends about the same amount that you called down with the whole way, and gets me information right there, if I am behind, I don't lose any more, if I am ahead, they either fold or I get more out of them.

Only when I am brutally behind and they slow play and let me bet out do I lose alot (my biggest weakness by being aggressive, letting someone let me bet off my whole stack with a good second best hand), but I think I win more than I lose by doing this.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:39 AM

good point
Old 11-10-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you call more often than you raise...that makes you a "calling station." Don't become one.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words... YOU become the donkey.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:24 AM

I've been doing this too.
I'm actually starting to think that by raising you can catch these donkeys with worse hands, and get more of their chips. Occasionally they will have you beaten, but the times you are right will make up for it in the long term.
(But I've noticed I've been playing too passively lately.)