Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 09:27 PM

Default beating the beginners

From what I've read over the past year, it seems that the hallmark of a young or new player is that at one point or another near the time he began he goes through a period of bluffing wildly. The bluffs, the steal attempts, the all-in bluffs w/ nothing, all of these are trademarks of young players (or tilting players). Another period of progress in a new players career is the phase through which one becomes facinated with raising wildly and will probably experience a great deal of success on some days and the opposite on other days...have you found this to be the case also?

I think by determining which phase players are in I can devise a counter strategy appropriately...what do you think?
Old 11-09-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: beating the beginners

I'm not sure how you could tell who the beginners are. Just observe the players and if someone is raising a lot more than normal, attack them. If someone bluffs a lot, call them down lighter.

A lot of beginners start out weak-tight, just playing their cards, and complaining when they don't get any cards and end up losing a coinflip. Only later do they start stealing and making resteals and bluffs, knowing that this is the way to survive droughts in cards. I know this was my progression. You can take advantage of these guys too, by pounding on their blinds.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:48 PM

Tough chore online. Safer strategy: If someone is bluffing wildly, slowplay good hands. If someone is tight, loosen your opening standards and play accordingly when he comes in.

If someone is playing solid, well, read as much as you can and try and take from the weaker players.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:53 PM

ty, good avice