Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 09-28-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Tough River Decision #5

No reads.

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (5.50 SB)

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds

5th Street - (4.25 BB)

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (6.25 BB)

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (8.25 BB)

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___raises

Total pot: (9.25 BB)
Old 09-28-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Tough River Decision #5

It's not a tough river decision if you check. Your hand is pretty transparent...a buried pair for two pair seems likely. His hand is also pretty obvious...4 flush. And spades are live as all hell. If you check, you may induce a bluff from a busted draw whereas if you bet, you don't get called unless he can beat two decent pair. And if he can do that, he has a flush. And if he has a flush, you get raised. I don't see a bet having value here, particularly with open 9's against a someone that either made their hand or didn't.

Jeff
Old 09-28-2005, 03:22 PM

I usually check call a moderate two pair like this when villain is on a draw. Given that you have been raised, you are almost certainly beat. Nevertheless, I would very likely call anyway, given the size of the pot. On the other hand, I am a huge calling station once I get to the river, especially heads-up. If it makes you feel any better when you call and lose, you can decide that it is good for your table image, so that people are less likely to try and push you around in subsequent hands.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:49 PM

Calling here is a mistake in my opinion since river raises are almost never a bluff in this game, that being said I probably call if I was making the decision at the table.

I agree with Jeffage that betting 7th isn't good here, especially if you dont know exactly what you will do if raised.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:02 PM

I definitely check/call the river, but given that you bet, I think you need to fold to the raise. He's not bluffing (or somehow value raising worse than queens up) enough of the time to call.

Anyone who consistently says "I call because of the size of the pot" is simply wrong.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling here is a mistake in my opinion since river raises are almost never a bluff in this game, that being said I probably call if I was making the decision at the table.

I agree with Jeffage that betting 7th isn't good here, especially if you dont know exactly what you will do if raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see what you're beating here
Old 09-28-2005, 07:51 PM

This forum's been awesome lately. Thanks in particular to Roland, Jeff, and Bart.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:36 PM

This sucks, should fold but could he be making a move?

Argh.