Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 06:53 PM

Default PP 15/30 - HU vs a LAG

Button is 39/15/2 over 473 hands.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (5 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Comments on all streets appreciated. Should I be raising preflop? I felt that I have an equity edge over a limping LAG and a random BB hand, even if I'm OOP. My biggest question is, is the river a call or a fold?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: PP 15/30 - HU vs a LAG

Don't see the problem here (apart from the bad beat?!).

Against a LAG you gotta pfr to try to remove the BB.
Flop you are likely gonna check-call as this is ideal slowplay territory.
Turn he's raising to scare you, but the cap is a huge warning sign; he looks like has has a Jack.
River you're now losing to any pair or Jack so I gotta bail here too. If I didn't know him for 473 hands I'd call to look him up. Maybe I gotta leak there.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:49 PM

bad beat! bad beat!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:16 PM

I think your play is fine on every single street. The only debatable street is preflop. My poker coach keeps telling me that I shouldnt raise hands like KTo,A9o,KJo and many other hands from the SB vs a late position raiser becuz we are out of position. But i disagree with him on this one, I think the incentive to get the big blind to fold, and the fact that you do likely have the best hand are enough reasons to raise in this spot despite the fact that you are out of position. I may be wrong here, but I wouldve raised KTo preflop as you did in this situation. One thing I do know for sure is this is a high variance play, but theres nothing inherently wrong with variance so thats not really a concern.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:01 PM

To those who responded about the bad beat, ignore that part. My two main questions are: is it +EV to raise KTo in the SB in that situation, and is the river a check/call or a check/fold?
Old 09-13-2005, 05:13 AM

"...and many other hands from the SB vs a late pos raiser..."

The button didn't raise, he open limped and i'm raising this lag everytime with KT from the SB.

"One thing I do know for sure is this is a high variance play..."

Against this type of player, unless u play poorly postflop, the variance shouldn't be very high IMO.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop you are likely gonna check-call as this is ideal slowplay territory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I would like to check this especially against a lag who may play back at you. Usually when you raise PF like this and then check even lags can spot something fishy going on. I like the hand on every street. All you could hope is he has the same hand which i find very unlikely.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:48 AM

Hey Dazarath,

I think you did fine on all streets. Raising KTo against a loose limper definitely gives you an +ev, the only problem here is your position. KT in the SB is a hard hand to play specially when you hit a split pair with a overcard on the flop. I think you did fine by raising KTo here though. If he was new to the table and I don't have any actual reads on him either than his stats I might just check it and see what comes out.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:43 AM

I like your play here. I would raise pre-flop and fold the river just like you did. Unless I had seem him bluffing in similar situations, then I'd check-call the river. There are SO many hands that beat you here.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"...and many other hands from the SB vs a late pos raiser..."

The button didn't raise, he open limped and i'm raising this lag everytime with KT from the SB.

"One thing I do know for sure is this is a high variance play..."

Against this type of player, unless u play poorly postflop, the variance shouldn't be very high IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am raising KTo everytime in this situation also, I was just saying that my coach disagrees with this aggressive strategy.