Old 08-13-2005, 02:33 AM

Default Iraq/Al Qaeda Operational Ties?

This looked interesting to me so I thought I'd post it:
http://www.meib.org/articles/0104_irb.htm#irb3
Specifically...
[ QUOTE ]
Iraqi Spies Reportedly Arrested in Germany
16 March 2001

Al-Watan al-Arabi (Paris) reports that two Iraqis were arrested in Germany, charged with spying for Baghdad. The arrests came in the wake of reports that Iraq was reorganizing the external branches of its intelligence service and that it had drawn up a plan to strike at US interests around the world through a network of alliances with extremist fundamentalist parties.

The most serious report contained information that Iraq and Osama bin Ladin were working together. German authorities were surprised by the arrest of the two Iraqi agents and the discovery of Iraqi intelligence activities in several German cities. German authorities, acting on CIA recommendations, had been focused on monitoring the activities of Islamic groups linked to bin Ladin. They discovered the two Iraqi agents by chance and uncovered what they considered to be serious indications of cooperation between Iraq and bin Ladin. The matter was considered so important that a special team of CIA and FBI agents was sent to Germany to interrogate the two Iraqi spies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone know why this never made news till now? I don't think it was in the 9-11 Commission Report. Anyone know what has become of these two suspected spies?
Old 08-13-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Iraq/Al Qaeda Operational Ties?

This did make the news but it wasn't reported much.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:54 AM

Its well known that Iraq and Al Queada had communication with each other. Whats not entirely clear is if they actually started to work together. The two parties ideologies are not entirely compatable.

Stu
Old 08-13-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whats not entirely clear is if they actually started to work together.

[/ QUOTE ]
That seems to be the implication from this source...

[ QUOTE ]
The two parties ideologies are not entirely compatable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Differences in ideologies have not stopped previous forces from working together against a common enemy...

I'm fairly surprised that possible evidence that Iraq and Al Qaeda had operational ties is not garnering many replies. Haven't many on the left, as well as this forum and even the 9-11 Commission, suggested that no such ties existed?
Old 08-13-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly surprised that possible evidence that Iraq and Al Qaeda had operational ties is not garnering many replies. Haven't many on the left, as well as this forum and even the 9-11 Commission, suggested that no such ties existed?

[/ QUOTE ]

of course there are ties, Donald Rumsfeld had ties to Sadam, the 9-11 hijackers had very strong ties to America. everything is tied to everything. doesnt mean they were on friendly terms and it certainly doesnt mean they were working together.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
doesnt mean they were on friendly terms and it certainly doesnt mean they were working together.

[/ QUOTE ]
The source I posted suggests otherwise. The U.S. and Russia were not on friendly terms during WWII, but that didn't stop them from working together to beat Germany...
Old 08-13-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The source I posted suggests otherwise. The U.S. and Russia were not on friendly terms during WWII, but that didn't stop them from working together to beat Germany...

[/ QUOTE ]

But there are projects that you can conclusively point to and say that we worked together with Russia(i believe lend lease is one). The article you linked suggests Iraq worked with Al Queda but does not point to anything.

Stu
Old 08-13-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
doesnt mean they were on friendly terms and it certainly doesnt mean they were working together.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

first re read your source slowly.......it realy doesntsay much at all.

but the best evidence that this isnt very credible is that u dont hear the Bush administration ever claiming it.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but the best evidence that this isnt very credible is that u dont hear the Bush administration ever claiming it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've already considered this. Hence my questions about what happened to these guys. Perhaps they didn't want to compromise exactly what they found? It would be nice if you had answers to these questions instead of sarcastic one-liners.