Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 02:09 PM

Default NL on Party

I'm a 3/6 limit player on PP and I want to get into NL. I'm so bored with the robotic 3/6 play. What level should I start at? Where are the best games? What is a good winrate? I have a 1.9 BB/100 for 3/6 can I expect to earn more playing 1/2 NL 4 tabling?

I hope to get some answers to these and throw anything else in you think would help out. Thanks alot.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: NL on Party

If you don't have much NL experience, I wouldn't recommend jumping into 4-tabling 1/2 NL. Start out lower and see how you do.

Winrate completely depends on how well you play.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:49 PM

It of course depends on if you have any NL experience. If you don't, start at NL25 and move up when you realize you beat the game (which should be pretty quickly)and move upwards.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:56 PM

I have some live play exp. I play 5-5 at a game around town. It is a huge joke though, I'm pretty sure the 100 on party is tougher. I'm just curious to know some winrates for BB because, I know what a good winrate is for 3/6 I would like to compare. I've read on here awhile ago a good 2/4 player on PP can make 100 an hour?
Old 08-08-2005, 03:15 PM

Start at 25NL.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:50 PM

I think I was doing around $15/hr on 4 $25NL 6-max tables. The games were so passive, I'd bet out 2/3 of the pot on any flop and I could take it down enough times to make it profitable. It seemed like the game was full of nut peddlers, but a lot of the times they got caught up in hands such as flushes on paired boards or straights on flush boards and lost their stacks with "a good hand".

I can see how $100/hr is possible on a few 2/4NL tables. I started playing 3 .5/1NL tables on Prima two weeks ago, and I get $10/hr in rakeback alone. First week cost me a bit due to the initial adjustment, and the second week wasn't that great because I had been getting 5-6 hours of sleep (instead of my usual 8), so I wouldn't be able to play more than 2 hours a day, and I would make that one crucial mistake late in a session where I'd slip and wouldn't act on my read, or twice I entered a number in the field to bet, then accidentally click the slider going to click bet, and bet like 90% of my stack, and both times someone had AA and KK to take my whole stack. I only made about $18/hr that week (with rakeback, so that's only $8/hr), but I can see $30/hr if I was aware enough to not make these stupid mistakes. I'd imagine it's possible to get $40/hr after a couple more weeks of learning.

So, I see how playing 4x stakes can achieve $100/hr. From reading Sklansky's books, it almost sounds unattainable, but you have to consider that they were written back when poker wasn't readily available and the real fish would only go to play once or twice a year (when they went on vacation). Also, the stakes don't mean as much as they used to with inflation. I checked the value of the WSOP buy-in back in 1971 in today's dollars, and $10,000 back when it began would be the equivalent of $35,000 today, plus the country was going through some rough times.