Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 07-25-2005, 06:34 PM

Default AKo -- Good Time To Push? or Should I play it out?

Empire Poker 25+2 No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

UTG+1 (t753)
MP1 (t2665)
MP2 (t1346)
CO (t2055)
Hero (t800)
SB (t4606)
BB (t5500)
UTG (t1710)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t30, CO calls t30, Hero ???

Long way to the money-- about 150 left of 250.
The 2 callers have been pretty loose, but everyone at the table had been laying down to any big bet. In this hand, no one has shown any strength. Should I just take what's out there or look to double up?

My thinking:
1. Limp in -- seems weak with most likely the best hand
2. Raise 3x BB -- Would probably drag along the 2 previous callers. Could still still get away from the hand if others called and I missed the flop and others showed some strength.
3. Raise more than 3x BB -- Anything much more is going to commit me to the pot if I get a caller.
4. Push -- If I get no callers, then be happy to have raised my stack more than 10%. If get callers, hope to double up and get back to average. SB &amp; BB would be risking less than 20% of their stacks to call me, so should that make me more cautious?
5. Fold -- not really an option

What is the best option?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Re: AKo -- Good Time To Push? or Should I play it out?

anyone?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:54 PM

I probably make it 150. Don't see any reason to overpush. You stilll have enough chips to play relatively normally preflop.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:58 PM

I'm relatively 'new' to poker, so keep that in mind.

In that position I'd raise 2.5-3X the BB. As you said your limping and folding options are pretty much out of the question, since you undoubtedly have the best hand with their previous loose play. It's small enough to call, and big enough to get some money out of it.

Another option is to raise 4 or 5X the BB and just win the pot right there, but with your relatively small chip stack I don't think that's the wisest idea. You need to make a move, but a small move.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably make it 150. Don't see any reason to overpush. You stilll have enough chips to play relatively normally preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

At what point would you push with a hand like this? When my stack is 15x the BB? 10x?
Old 07-25-2005, 11:53 PM

metaplay, fire 350.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:25 AM

With the blinds this low, I am never going to be pushing here with more than 300 chips.

Here is the thing,pushing is actually one of the least aggressive lines you can take here at a tight table. It is going to win you 115 chips most of the time.

Personally, when I am getting short stacked (maybe not the case here, but lets say 450-650 in chips), I will play AK like I will play aces. Make it 90 PF, If I get two callers, I will push into any flop bet. Basically I want to get as many chips as possible in the event I win the hand. If I lose b/c I played somewhat passively, so be it.

Here, similar reasoning for not pushing. This is a great spot to get some chips. I will make whatever raise is most likely to get me at least one caller. If it is checked to me, and my stack is less than 2x the pot, I will push.