Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2003, 08:43 AM

Default in the CO with 76s

live 10-20 average/medium loose to average game; nothing outrageous, but my opponents have adjusted to my game. the 1000 dollar nights are over. tonight i'm getting beat.

an average MP limps in, gets one loose caller, folded to me and i limp in with 76s. the button, who is a little gun shy but playing much better, limps behind. the blinds....gee i don't remember.

anyway the flop comes AT2 and the A is not suited. i'm suited to the T and 2 there. i don't like it. the MP bets and it's folded to me, i call and the button raises. well, i didn't think a lot about the the button's raise here. but the button was playing a fairly good game tonight, anyway folded to the MP who calls, call.

turn) a rag; the MP checks, i bet, the button calls and it's folded back to me.

river) A of suit, giving me the flush. so the board is AT2xA. i checked; now i knew that the button had a completed hand, that she wasn't on the flush draw. the button bet and i check-raised. was my check-raise correct? i had the button on AX figuring there was about a 30% chance she had the boat, which she didn't, as it turned out. but after the hand, i couldn't believe that i did that. it was so clearly wrong a move on my part in retrospect, even though my read was correct regarding her not having the flush. would you have check-raised? would anyone have check-raised?

she reraised my check-raise, does anyone call? all responses appreciated.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:49 AM

Default Re: in the CO with 76s

Why didn't you like the T 2 suited with your cards? Isn't that why you're playing 7,6s in the first place?

And if you don't like it, why check-raise the river when a full-house is a possibility?
Old 05-17-2003, 11:23 AM

Hi E,

Huh?

"now i knew that the button had a completed hand, that she wasn't on the flush draw. the button bet and i check-raised. was my check-raise correct?"

If you 'knew' they had a complete hand, why in the hell did you checkraise with a worse hand? The only other complete hands are full houses, or, if you are very lucky, smaller flushes. The move would not be bad; it would be rediculous.

That aside, if you think you -are- good, and you are pretty sure the button will bet, then a checkraise is not out of the question. If I were the button and had Ax, I would probably put you on a counterfitted two pair and bet the river.

THAT aside, I generally do not checkraise the non-nut flush on the river when the board is paired and my opponent has shown agression. I usually just call. But that's more of a general thematic tendancy I have which may not necessarily be correct.

So, what I'm saying is, I would not have checkraised the river. And I probably would lay down to a three-bet if I checkraised, provided my opponent was reasonable/average.

-Diplomat
Old 05-17-2003, 11:24 AM

For me, you don't check-raise with a flush on the river on a paired board, planning to fold to a three bet. That's just silly. Check-call or bet-call if raised.

I think your move was a bit risky, to say the least.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:13 PM

Well, you know the player better than me, but I would be more scared of a bigger flush than a full house since if the river filled her up she would have had two pair or a set on the turn and probably raised. But raising the flop and just calling the turn could mean a flush draw. I think the checkraise is OK because she will not three bet with the flush and she doesn't figure to be full. It just has to be a player who will bet with three aces and then call a checkraise, which I guess it was.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:18 PM

If she had had two pair (or better) on the turn, wouldn't she have raised your turn bet?
Old 05-17-2003, 09:11 PM

Default results

thanks for the responses
yea, i was on tilt, at least on this one. as far as not liking the flop, it wasn't the two suiteds that i didn't like. it was the non-suited ace. i would much rather that the A was suited. and believe it or not, the reason i went for the check-raise, was that it was a suited A that completed my flush. had the completing card been a J or a 9 for example, i never would have check-raised. i had my opponent on QQ or JJ, and she tended to bet the scare card when checked to.

i knew she was on a completed hand, a hand with little chance of improving but one that is at least marginally strong, because she was blinking as she raised. whenever she blinked like that, she had a made hand. when she raised on a strong draw, the chips went in very gracefully, with no blinking.

but she never reraised without the nuts. to this day, i have never seen her reraise without the absolute nuts. i called her reraise.