Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2005, 04:09 PM

Default 3/6 Hand History for review

Please provide some comments about how I played the hand. First Hand I've posted for review. Thanks for your comments. I'll post the results tonight after comments.

Reads: UTG is 68/22/.85; MP2 is 51/16/.71

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3spade, 3club.
UTG raises, 1 fold, MP2 calls, 3 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) A diamond, 7 spade, 3diamond(3 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets, MP2 calls, Hero calls.
<font color="blue"> </font> Great, I spiked my set, fear the flush draw, but I've set the trap - all going according to plan; figure I'll softplay and see what the turn brings - not going to chase the flush draw away with a bet/raise.

Turn (4.66 BB) 4 diamond, Hero checks, UTG bets, MP2 calls, Hero raises, UTG 3-bets, MP2 calls, Hero calls. <font color="blue"> </font> Well, that's not what I was looking for, but figure it's time to test the waters and see if I get reraised; UTG is telling me he has the flush, but pot is to big to fold, right?

River13.66 BB) T club, Hero checks, UTG bets, MP2 raises, Hero folds, UTG calls. <font color="blue"> </font> Figure I'm in check/call time since my C/R on the turn didn't scare anyone. But damn, 2 BB to me on the River - now what? Call, reraise or fold?

Final Pot: 17.66 BB

My first time; please be gentle(OK, I've been reading the forums long enough to know I won't get the gentle treatment), and sorry the converter output didn't come out as clean as other hands I've seen posted for review.

Thanks,
Al
Old 03-13-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: 3/6 Hand History for review

On the converter make sure you're converting to 2+2 forums, not plaintext.

As for the hand, don't slowplay a set on a two flush board.
Given your position relative to the raiser I like a check/raise here. This will change the way the hand plays, depending on whether MP2 stays or not. The way you played I think it's better to bet out the turn rather than check/raising because you don't want to get 3-bet, and you still have 10 outs against a flush so you're seeing the river. Your line really confuses me. You play it slow on the flop because a 4-flush isn't going anywhere, but then when it comes you become very aggressive.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:59 PM

All in all, I feel that this is a poorly played hand.

Your preflop call is obviously standard, but I really don't like the play on the flop. A check here is fine, as long as you intend to raise. If UTG has an ace, he may play back at you allowing you to call his 3-bet and CR the turn. This also gets both players more attached to the pot and therefore more likely to call down to the river with inferior hands.

Your rationale for "seeing what the turn brings" here is faulty. You are against two opponents, one of whom raised in EP preflop and another that called the raise. I don't really think someone has two diamonds in the hole. There should be no turn card that would deter you from playing this hand VERY fast.

I think I'd call the river here too, big pot, fairly aggressive players, I'd take my chances - you never really revealed the true strength of your hand and these guys may think a hand like aces-up is worth betting and raising on the river. I think you're easily good 1/8 of the time here.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:29 PM

I'd raise the flop. These players aren't going anywhere. You need to make them pay, whether they have a draw or not.

I wouldn't fold the river. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you had the best hand, and the second best was a rivered two-pair.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I suspected I played the hand poorly; I usually raise on the flop but have gotten into a habit lately of waiting for the turn when there's a flush draw on the flop(stupid, I know). Good comments by all....and yes, I folded the best hand and the raise on the river was by MP2 who rivered his two pair. I need to post more hand histories as I've been breakeven since moving to 3/6.

Thanks,
Al
Old 03-13-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the feedback. I suspected I played the hand poorly; I usually raise on the flop but have gotten into a habit lately of waiting for the turn when there's a flush draw on the flop(stupid, I know). Good comments by all....and yes, I folded the best hand and the raise on the river was by MP2 who rivered his two pair. I need to post more hand histories as I've been breakeven since moving to 3/6.

Thanks,
Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure Hand histories are the problem here if you folded this hand. Learn to pay off people on the river if you have a set. There are two really important things to remember:

1) The odds of one of your opponents having a flush is very low. Don't slowplay 2-flush boards or fold 3-flush boards because you fear a flush.

2) Be a lot looser on the river when the pot is big. No way can you put someone on a flush 85% of the time.

Both of those kinds of fears are very common for the weak $3-$6 players that you want to take money from.

By the way, I cap the turn and bet the river. The fact that he did not respect your C/R could just as easily mean he's an idiot, not that he has a hand that should not fear a C/R. And he's not "telling you he has a flush" at all. Even if he wasn't an idiot, he could 3 bet with top 2 pair. And your comment that "The pot is too big to fold" on the turn suggests that you are not aware that you have 10 outs vs. a made flush, and no way in hell can you ever fold a set on the turn vs. a flush.

Flopping sets should win you huge pots. That's why calling a raise with 33 is profitable. If you are afraid to be aggressive when you flop sets, then do not call PF with small pocket pairs.

And, by the way, losing when you have a set should be expensive. If it isn't, you aren't being aggressive enough with them.