Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Holding on to overcards

I became adrift pretty quickly on this one. SB is loose, no question, but not to the "any two" extent of several others at the table. I haven't been playing many hands, so I assume that he noticed the open-raise.

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="blue"> No way the flop hit him other than perhaps a club draw. Seems my play should have been either raise/fold to a 3 bet, or just muck it right here. Thoughts?</font>

Turn: (4.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="blue"> Given my passivity on the flop, he could easily just be firing another shot to push me off overcards. Getting only 5.5:1, I should have obliged him and mucked, right?</font>

River: (6.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">Got my card and he'll probably call the raise with hands that I'd beat, say something like AK or 99-77. He must've noticed how I woke up with the Jack, so is there any way to fold to his 3-bet? </font>

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 02-01-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Holding on to overcards

I think folding the turn isn't that bad here, what do others think?
Old 02-01-2005, 02:19 PM

If we don't have any idea how agressive he is I think a flop call and turn fold are a decent line.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:31 PM

I like the river raise, but I think you can safely fold to this 3-bet.

Sometimes I will raise the turn if I know that they respect me enough to fold any overcards. I usually like to showdown Ace high on sloppy boards like this, so a turn raise gains some folding equity while allowing you to easily fold to a 3-bet. If you raise the turn, plan on checking behind on the river (unless a J or A hits).

EDIT: Raising the turn is much more effective with AK. WIth only a J kicker, I might be inclined to fold the turn like the others.