Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Which Martial Art

"and they were adept in many fighting styles"

Never said they couldn't fight. They'd crush anyone without good fight training.

"Moron"

No, you are, for arguing about [censored] you don't understand.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:54 AM

Repeat after me:

Wax on
Wax off
Old 11-08-2005, 11:55 AM

Aikido, with the right instructor, sounds perfect for you.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:00 PM

If you want to learn how to fight, do boxing or thai boxing, or some kind of competition wrestingling/grappling (Brazilian JJ/Judo/wrestling, probably in that order of preference), or a combination of those (ie one stand up and one ground/grappling). But apparently you don't, so I don't know.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:48 PM

This is entirely dependent on where you live. There are some great ICMA instructors, which would probably be right up your alley, but so many quacks that it's a lot easier to recommend a teacher than a style.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:11 PM

Of all the martial arts threads I've seen in OOT, this one ranks really high on percentage of lame ass comments and dumb prejudice.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:19 PM

Location: USS George washington, Virgina, 7 months until Los Angeles

HAPKIDO!

trust me on this. hapkido is pragmatic, hardcore, violent stuff that will save your life.

by the way. i took tae kwon do for a year. and i now see it as a waste of time... who the hell is gonna successfully do a spinning crescent kick successfully. you'd get clocked in the turn.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of all the martial arts threads I've seen in OOT, this one ranks really high on percentage of lame ass comments and dumb prejudice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for Diebitter's comments, of course. Those were spot-on. Sinanju rocks all other martial arts.

Swede
Old 11-09-2005, 06:31 AM

K Im gonna semi bump this, as I was gone for all this lovely and heartwarming discussion.

As far as ninjitsu, to the guy who disputed my claims that I took it based upon what I told him, all I can remember from the class is alot of trips and grabs, using my opponests weight against him. It could be I had a bad instructor, but there that is.

As far as whether or not I want to fight, absolutely. Not that I think I'll ever need it, but in bars, it seems like every lil guy with a napoleon complex wants to pick a fight with the tall guy, and Im sick of being slow.

Im going to be in/near Austin, TX by Jan. of this upcoming year, and this is when I want to start. I like certain aspects of Tai Chi, being the spiritual side of it all, but I dont want to just do that, because most of the time it seems it's being taught for health.

Kung Fu: haha, I would love to learn a style of Kung Fu, but I think this would be the hardest to find a competant teacher in, because kung fu just sounds cool. Also, I wouldnt know where to start as far as style.

Last but not least, I really am not interested in grappling styles. As a big dude, I prefer to stay on my feet.

Thanks again for the good advice so far, and what I hope will be more. And DieBitter... great advice... Ive been "waxing the car" for hours now.

..that sounded wrong [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for Diebitter's comments, of course. Those were spot-on. Sinanju rocks all other martial arts.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

That was it! I kept thinking 'Shin-Chan' - but I knew that was the kid who jiggles his ass about.