Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Questions after 4-tabling for the first time

Having recently purchased a new computer, I decided to try my hand at playing four tables at the same time. I played 2-3 tables previous to this. I scratched down some brief questions/comments that I would like to present.

1. I found myself playing hands prefop without thinking. Rather, I would just check the box of the action I wished to perform without thinking hard about it. i.e. KK raise any, TT raise (1), 76s in SB call. Sometimes I would change what I entered after glancing at the table i.e. A7s from LP when no one is in, raise instead of call, but for the most part I was playing the hands automatically. Is this normally the case with others?

2. I also tended to play my hands post flop automatically. I didn't figure out my exact number of outs, it was more like "I have middle pair and a flush draw. I think I'll bet", or "I have a gutshot draw and an overcard on a rainbow board. I think I'll call getting 8.5 to one. I used to be able to calculate the exact number of outs I had, but I didn't seem to have time. Is this style of playing costing me money?

3. I felt like I was missing a lot while playing. I didn't take any notes on anyone at all, and I only had time to review a few hands in the hand history that I was interested in seeing. I feel that if I had been able to study them, it would have been more beneficial to my game. i.e. "Wow, this guy keeps calling down any pair vs a preflop raiser irregardless of the board; I'll make sure not to miss any value bets against him". I didn't even know if any of the tables I was playing contained any of the same players. This made me feel as if I wasn't playing the best poker I could possibly have played. Does the extra table compensate for not being able to play as well as I could if I were only playing two tables, or do other people find a way to play their top game against four full tables?

4. Somewhat related to the last observation, I didn't know how much money I had in front of me at any table for most of the time. I occasionally saw that I was doing well or poorly, but I didn't have time to obsess about if I was up or down or if I was getting a bunch of bad beats or whatnot. It was quite refreshing just playing the cards.

Anyway, I managed to have a winning session; my results were +32.5bb, +6bb, +3bb, and -12.5bb at each of my tables. I will sum this post up by posing a central question: Is it normal when playing four or more tables to miss a lot of details (that you would catch if you were playing fewer tables), and if so, do the additional hands per hour compensate for this?