Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Chopping etiquette

Is it OK to chop with the guy to my left, but not with the guy to my right?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Chopping etiquette

You should always be consistent (always chop with everyone or never chop with anyone). The exception is when one of your opponent's refuses.

Selective chopping (whether based on position or the cards you are dealt) is bad ettiquette and will only get people pissed at you. It's not worth it for the few hands you may get a (very very) small advantage out of.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:47 AM

Thank you for your crystal-clear answer.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:18 PM

When the player to your right doesn't chop but the player on your left does, this is ideal. You play when you have position but don't play when you don't.

Now if you're asking if it's ok to tell the player on your right that you don't chop, but then tell the player on your left that you do chop, while not against the rules (where I play at least) that's very poor form.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:06 PM

In the cardroom that I play at if its folded to the Button he/she will fold and allow the SB/BB to chop. I've seen the button fold AA face up and say, "OK, you guys chop it." I only play 3/6 and 4/8. I don't know if this is the case at any of the bigger limits. It doesn't come up much, but I'm wondering what others think of this?

FishNChips
Old 11-14-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the cardroom that I play at if its folded to the Button he/she will fold and allow the SB/BB to chop. I've seen the button fold AA face up and say, "OK, you guys chop it." I only play 3/6 and 4/8. I don't know if this is the case at any of the bigger limits. It doesn't come up much, but I'm wondering what others think of this?

FishNChips

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen a few players that do this on the button as well. What I think: Utterly stupid.

I wouldn't get hyperaggressive from the button -- i.e., I don't tap the fish tank -- but play my normal game.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it OK to chop with the guy to my left, but not with the guy to my right?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience, chopping is per opponent, per session.

So, if you want to chop with the guy on the left but not the guy on the right, that's perfectly okay. However, once you start one way with a player, you need to continue. But I guarantee that the guy you are not chopping with is going to wonder what the hell your problem is.

And, of course, if you and your chopping buddy agree that you're no long chopping or you make some blanket statement such as "I don't chop when we're down to 5 players at the table" then that's fine also.

I like to chop. Sometimes it's good for a laugh and sometimes it saves you some money.

Regards,

T
Old 11-14-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the cardroom that I play at if its folded to the Button he/she will fold and allow the SB/BB to chop. I've seen the button fold AA face up and say, "OK, you guys chop it." I only play 3/6 and 4/8.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will exhibit my lack of cluefullness by asking why anyone would do this. Doesn't button like money?
Old 11-14-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I will exhibit my lack of cluefullness by asking why anyone would do this. Doesn't button like money?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I see the point when it's BB and SB, but you're on the button with two player to go and you're in position? What if you fold your AA and SB raises?
Old 11-14-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I see the point when it's BB and SB, but you're on the button with two player to go and you're in position? What if you fold your AA and SB raises?

[/ QUOTE ]

it was a regular (I'm not a regular - I'm a "sometimes"er) that did it and he KNEW that the SB/BB were going to chop, so out of "courtesy" he did it. I've seen SB/BB give dirty looks to button who open raised instead of folding for a chop. I've not been in the situation (4/8 kill is sooooooooo loose) and I'd hate to have to give up that advantage but I also don't want to rock the boat too much but I wanted to see what others thought...

sounds like "raise if you want, let the blinds sort it out if it gets to them."

As for chopping from SB or BB, I always chop from either of these positions UNLESS the villain in other blind doesn't. first time it comes up (usually the only time it comes up) I say "chop every time?" and if they say yes then I chop. If they say anything other than "yep, every time" then we're NEVER chopping. Its not card dependant. I've chopped AA from SB a few times and I always flip them over so BB knows I'm serious and WILL chope everything.

~FishNChips