Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 12:29 AM

Default First trip to AC

I will be making my first trip to Atlantic City in about a week (I'm usually a Vegas visitor, living in the West as I do). I will be looking to play some low-limit stud (hi or hi/lo).

You AC regulars -- what advice can you give me about where stud is spread, at what limits, and how the games are? I've heard stud is considerably easier to find out east than in Vegas, but I didn't know if anyone had any favs. I've been told the Taj spreads a better range of games than the Borgata (as well as having much shorter waits), but thought I'd see if anyone here could weigh in.

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Re: First trip to AC

Depends what you consider low limits. Most people seem to think the games aren't even worth playing unless you play 10/20 or higher. Don't have personal experience but viewed from afar the 5/10 sure looks like an old nit/rock garden. Also Taj the only place you can count on to get a game. 1-5 exists in a couple other rooms but above that is not guaranteed.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:07 AM

Taj is the stud capital of the world. IMO, the games are much better at 15-30 and higher, but do not play higher than you're comfortable with. 10-20 is often good also, but the structure is (IMO) bad. Taj spreads the following:

1-3/1-5 (BLECH)
5-10 (rockish)
10-20 (decent)
Mid Limit: 15-30, 20-40, 30-60 (GOOD)
High Limit: 75-150, sometimes highers

Taj also spreads a 10-20 Half and Half with a half kill (games are stud8 and omaha8). I believe this also goes at 3-6, but am not sure.

Borgata has very little stud...5-10 sometimes, 15-30-45 sometimes. Trop probably has low limit stud.

Jeff
Old 09-14-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Taj is the stud capital of the world. IMO, the games are much better at 15-30 and higher, but do not play higher than you're comfortable with. 10-20 is often good also, but the structure is (IMO) bad. Taj spreads the following:

1-3/1-5 (BLECH)
5-10 (rockish)
10-20 (decent)
Mid Limit: 15-30, 20-40, 30-60 (GOOD)
High Limit: 75-150, sometimes highers

Taj also spreads a 10-20 Half and Half with a half kill (games are stud8 and omaha8). I believe this also goes at 3-6, but am not sure.

Borgata has very little stud...5-10 sometimes, 15-30-45 sometimes. Trop probably has low limit stud.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

trop and ballys both have low limit. you have to hope there are some under 70 kitchen table conventioneers in the game otherwise it is a tight, boring, awful game.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:01 PM

Why do you think the mid-high games are so much better? Is it the ante structure?
Old 09-14-2005, 02:46 PM

I posted this in another thread...I definitely think the ante structure makes the games looser, but there is more than that.

"I think new players gravitate towards low limits and all the new players are going to play hold em now b/c that's what's on television. So the 5-10 stud games get no new blood and the old blood is generally a bunch of weak tight rocks with a few holes. So not much action. The mid limit stud games like 20-40, 30-60, however is a different animal. While they don't get tons of new blood, they do get people (in a place like Taj with a big rail and great location) who want to play poker and only understand stud (it's what they grew up with, it's the home game, etc). And many of these people play very badly. It also seems to be the game that affluent semi-regulars populate, at Taj. I don't know what it is really, but those games are very loose and not tough at all (exception is 75-150 and higher, depending on lineup...but usually these are good). Many rich, middle aged to old businessmen populate these games, donate, know they donate and don't give a damn."
Old 09-14-2005, 03:05 PM

I see, that does make logical sense though. How many young people get into poker bc they saw a really cool Stud hand? Not many. I can't wait to turn 21. Guess I'm gonna have to work on my stud game some so I can take a shot at some of these.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:13 PM

Come to Taj on your 21st...a beer and comped dinner are on me (or the Taj, depends on your outlook). [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Jeff
Old 09-14-2005, 03:18 PM

I'm actually thinking about it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I definitely plan on going to either AC or Vegas. Thoughts on either?
Old 09-14-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually thinking about it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I definitely plan on going to either AC or Vegas. Thoughts on either?

[/ QUOTE ]

vegas and there is no debate unless you only have the time and money for a quick 1-2 nighter.