Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Playing the players,, how do you learn to do this ??

Big blind 10Jo one limper I check he min bets I bet the pot. The size of my check-raise is perhaps debatable but I assume most players on this forum would see the donk-bet and punish him for it.

So the question is this.
What are the rules for knowing when you can push someone around ? Irie is playing 30 tournies blind so playing the players is a huge part of the game yet so hard to quantify.

What rules do you apply when making a play that is not based on your cards ?

I have the following general rules.
<ul type="square">[*]Limps a lot... Kill him[*]Min bets a lot ... Kill him[*]Uses the Ultimate Bet "bet pot" a lot button... give some respect. [*]bets 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot using the slider... assume he is as good as me. [/list]Those are my basic patterns. What are yours ?

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t40 (8 handed) converter

Hero (t1010)
UTG (t4605)
UTG+1 (t375)
MP1 (t1345)
MP2 (t2190)
CO (t3240)
Button (t1065)
SB (t1170)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t40, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (t100) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t220</font>, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: t360
Old 06-24-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Playing the players,, how do you learn to do this ??

Just try different things and you'll figure it out.
On your hand, he actually may have something pretty decent with the board as dry as it is. The low variance way to find out is call flop, C/R a weak turn bet. Or you can flat call the flop and lead the turn, etc etc.

You actually raised too much as there's no way you're dropping 220 into a 140 pot with a hand that wants action.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have the following general rules.
<ul type="square">[*]Limps a lot... Kill him[*]Min bets a lot ... Kill him[*]Uses the Ultimate Bet "bet pot" a lot button... give some respect. [*]bets 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot using the slider... assume he is as good as me. [/list]Those are my basic patterns. What are yours ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, not real crazy about this list. The problem with this list, and with the play you made in this post, is that you are assuming that you can get lower buy-in players to fold with a bluff. Bluffing is not really a good strategy at the lower buy-ins.

Limps a lot . . . I don't make much of that. 4-tabling, I hardly notice.
Min-raises a lot . . . Doesn't know much about how to bet. However, that doesn't mean that I can get him to lay down top pair or middle pair with a bluff on the flop. I think it means that I am LESS likely to be able to get him to lay down cards when the flop hits them.

Uses the "bet pot" button: Everytime I see somebody do this, I think, "damn, that's stupid."

Bets 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot: I don't read much into this.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:38 PM

If you're playing cheap games like i do there's lots of loose players calling anything, for this reason i dont pull thisa move like this early levels. Same goes for blind stealing.

I take notes in the first 3 levels and then categorize people as follows: Tight Agro, Tight Passive, Loose Agro, Loose Passive and watch what their hand range. Then you can take advantage of them pre-bubble/bubble when the blinds and pots are worth stealing.