Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 03:43 PM

Default easiest solution

Sit in the 1 seat where you can easily reach the muck. The 4 seat may work too. When you fold on the river and you think somone will ask to see your hand, quickly fold but do so one card at a time, buring each card individually, making it nearly impossible to retrieve the correct cards.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: easiest solution

[ QUOTE ]
Sit in the 1 seat where you can easily reach the muck. The 4 seat may work too. When you fold on the river and you think somone will ask to see your hand, quickly fold but do so one card at a time, buring each card individually, making it nearly impossible to retrieve the correct cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

OR... just show down your hand like a good boy. Dont try to cheat the rules... just do it. You lost the hand. Sorry - you gotta pay the price to see the winning hand and part of that is giving up the info on the losing hand.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Tommy Angelo on \"I Want To See That Hand\"

[ QUOTE ]
The rule I advocate is this --- No player gets to see a mucked hand (of course show one show all still applies). but if a player suspects collusion the hand is held aside for inspection by the floorperson who may reveal the contents of the hand if he deems it appropriate. This rule could apply at any time in the hand, not just show down -- so a player mucking their hand to a bet could still be subject to inspection.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Mike O'Malley wrote about this in a Card Player column about six months ago. I'm on the way out the door but maybe someone can post a link.

~ Ricke
Old 11-07-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Dealer keeps showing people my cards

[ QUOTE ]
The rule is that you have the "privilege" to see a called hand at showdown. Operative word is privilege. Most of the rule books I have seen are worded this way and that privilege may be revoked for abuse.

My favorite story regarding this was pulled off by a friend of mine who executed the greatest slowroll ever. An old man was asking to see every hand at the river. After asking to see my friend's hand multiple times he was fed up with this guy.

A hand came up where he made the nuts on the river and just smooth called the old mans bet. The old man showed his hand and my friend declared "nice hand" and placed his cards face down in front of him. The dealer began swiping them in when sure enough true to form the old man said "I want to see that hand" Blam over comes the nuts, the pot gets reawarded, old man freaks out, and never asks to see a hand again.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is the best poker related in-your-face pay-back story ever. Hands down.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OR... just show down your hand like a good boy. Dont try to cheat the rules... just do it. You lost the hand. Sorry - you gotta pay the price to see the winning hand and part of that is giving up the info on the losing hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the dumbest responses I've seen. Even if what I suggested was breaking the rules - which it is not - the rule is there for a reason, and when it is being abused for another reason I have no problem with breaking it.

I suggested mucking quickly before anyone can ask to see your hand - that is certainly NOT against the rules. Showing a losing hand is not the price of calling down, the money it costs to call is.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the dumbest responses I've seen. Even if what I suggested was breaking the rules - which it is not - the rule is there for a reason, and when it is being abused for another reason I have no problem with breaking it.

I suggested mucking quickly before anyone can ask to see your hand - that is certainly NOT against the rules. Showing a losing hand is not the price of calling down, the money it costs to call is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dumbest response aside, I still dont get why everyone is in such a huff about showing down your losing cards. You were the idiot that went to showdown with a loser. Admit you sucked and move on.

Personally, I think everyone should show down cards and mucking should be against the rules. But I would imagine that I am in the minority.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:56 PM

1. Hollywood park does suck. Other than taking advantage of the pony players who don't pay attention to their cards, there is no reason to go there. The Bike is much better.

2. For those of you who don't think that asking to see the cards is offensive, you don't understand the implication. The rule was designed to prevent cheating/collusion. When someone asks to see your cards, they are making an accusation at you.

My usual way of dealing with this is to fire my cards one at the time in different areas of the much so that there is no way to pick them out. I then tell the person that if they want to know what I had thay can ask me politely and I may tell them, however if they want to accuse me of cheating they can do it straight up to my face and we can have a conversation about it outside.

I am very "old school" when it comes to etiquette at the table. I understand that there has been a large influx of newbies the last few years that don't understand the rules of behavior, but that doesn't mean that I have to tolerate all kinds of rudeness. Accusing someone of cheating is very rude.

Shauna
Old 11-14-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dumbest response aside, I still dont get why everyone is in such a huff about showing down your losing cards. You were the idiot that went to showdown with a loser. Admit you sucked and move on.

Personally, I think everyone should show down cards and mucking should be against the rules. But I would imagine that I am in the minority.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing idiotic about having a losing hand at the river. You had pot odds to draw, you missed, now it's checked around. Someone shows a winner, you muck, and then someone asks to see your hand. People get upset about this because they ask only to get a line on your play, which isn't why the rule exists.

If you want a game where everyone is required to show at the river just play online.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:00 PM

What does the reasoning behind the original rule have to do with the fact that it is still a rule?

And saying that its rude is sort of silly considering the pathetic role models that newbies have (i.e. the ESPN crowd)
Old 11-14-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing idiotic about having a losing hand at the river. You had pot odds to draw, you missed, now it's checked around. Someone shows a winner, you muck, and then someone asks to see your hand. People get upset about this because they ask only to get a line on your play, which isn't why the rule exists.

If you want a game where everyone is required to show at the river just play online.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do play online mostly. I dont like driving 2 hours for a decent game. But my point is... what difference does it make as to what the rule was originally meant for? The fact of the matter is that it is still a rule. Until its changed, better get used to people asking, if for no other reason than to get under your skin.