Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 11:42 AM

Default TPTK syndrome

still trying to be more disciplined when it comes to playing these hands. (hasnt worked yet!!!)

villian is same from the QQ hand i just posted:

56/8.3/0.49 over 48 hands

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB ($100.80)
UTG ($46.55)
Hero ($28.80)
CO ($29.60)
Button ($39.25)
SB ($23.75)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.90, BB calls $1.75, UTG folds.

Flop: ($6.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $8</font>, Hero ????

villian has been seeing a lot of hands since i sat, and i wasnt exactly sure if he was holding AA, KK or QQ.

wouldnt you think if he had any of those hands that he would be reraising me pf?

please give me your lines and i'll post the results in a few.

(btw, this is the second time he's c-r me)
Old 11-14-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: TPTK syndrome

I push in and then tell him to go f himself
Old 11-14-2005, 12:11 PM

I've seen loads of these from players who have no defence against continuation bets. For some reason a big group of people has got it into their heads that min-raising a possible continuation bet is a good play so I say just push back, with laughing in the chat box optional.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:12 PM

You are right, I'm sure if he had QQ thru AA you'd have seen a reraise from the blinds.

But I agree with Lee2k.

A similarity I've noticed between your posts is that you make the pot pretty big (which seems like a good thing when you are holding QQ or AQs pf) with raises that are frankly out of line. I know dragging a three dollar pot doesnt exactly feel like making it big in the world of poker, but making it 2 to go with AQ suited or not when you haven't even seen half of the actions at the table is giving away too much. Your big pf raises make big postflop pots, and it doesn't even seem like you are willing to follow through on your pf bet. A $4 raise with AQ or QQ or whatever into an $8 pot is just too weak. 3/4ths it please.

I think you needed to do what Lee2k said you should do, but only because (at least the way I see it) you are letting an observant opponent exploit you and you need to get him to stop.

Of course I'm not saying im 100% right, I could be wrong, and feedback is of course welcomed.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:17 PM

if he's checkraised you twice in 48 hands, he's probably bluffing at least part of the time, or at worst taking a shot with a draw or something....I'd probably come right back over the top of him...i think he's probably got a flush draw here...I think i'd push given your stack size if you make it something like 16 he's just goin to call and you can't push him out on the turn by giving him horrible odds...come right back over here...if he's got you beat oh well, but at least you are showing that you won't be pushed around which oughta help on later hands.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:19 PM

You got the short stack. TPTK is the gold standard. Push it in without hesitating.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are right, I'm sure if he had QQ thru AA you'd have seen a reraise from the blinds.

But I agree with Lee2k.

A similarity I've noticed between your posts is that you make the pot pretty big (which seems like a good thing when you are holding QQ or AQs pf) with raises that are frankly out of line. I know dragging a three dollar pot doesnt exactly feel like making it big in the world of poker, but making it 2 to go with AQ suited or not when you haven't even seen half of the actions at the table is giving away too much. Your big pf raises make big postflop pots, and it doesn't even seem like you are willing to follow through on your pf bet. A $4 raise with AQ or QQ or whatever into an $8 pot is just too weak. 3/4ths it please.

I think you needed to do what Lee2k said you should do, but only because (at least the way I see it) you are letting an observant opponent exploit you and you need to get him to stop.

Of course I'm not saying im 100% right, I could be wrong, and feedback is of course welcomed.

[/ QUOTE ]

um, $4 into a $6.25 pot = 0.64

and if i feel that people are picking up on the fact that i am raising with big hands then i change it up and raise with random hands in position to show im not just tight.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:49 PM

Very sorry, my mistake, you are right. Eyes must have been playing games on me.

In my experience, at the lowest possible limits, mixing up the hands that you raise with pf to show you aren't a rock can get you in a lot of trouble. It is a skill you will want to develop, but I don't think 25NL is the place to impliment it. Certainly no offense intended, as I still play some 25NL, but 25NLers arent exactly the brightest. Most I don't think will take note of what you raise with PF because everyone is focusing on the donkey leading out with J6 s00ted.

But I think this guy might be trying to grow a brain with you. So I still recommend keeping the pot smaller with smaller PF raises to help make your decisions easier.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very sorry, my mistake, you are right. Eyes must have been playing games on me.

In my experience, at the lowest possible limits, mixing up the hands that you raise with pf to show you aren't a rock can get you in a lot of trouble. It is a skill you will want to develop, but I don't think 25NL is the place to impliment it. Certainly no offense intended, as I still play some 25NL, but 25NLers arent exactly the brightest. Most I don't think will take note of what you raise with PF because everyone is focusing on the donkey leading out with J6 s00ted.

But I think this guy might be trying to grow a brain with you. So I still recommend keeping the pot smaller with smaller PF raises to help make your decisions easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, it's not something that i put into practice at this level of play too often. only if someone is really observant and i think that i can use it to my advantage.

i respect your opinion about the huge pf action, but just like you said before - the level of play at these stakes is pretty atrocious and i can easily get action with a pfr of 8xBB.

i also understand your reasoning for being able to make better decisions because there is less of a pot to be committed to, but i am not afraid to lay something down with a ~$4-6 pot facing aggression when i think i'm behind.