Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 05:43 PM

Default AQs MP facing UTG and a flop full of fun.

<font color="purple">This hand came up earlier tonight. Table playing about 47/14 at the time.</font>

<font color="green">Table reads:

UTG - 40/16 AF(F/T/R)1.9/2.3/1.4 WSD 40

Button - 39/20 AF(F/T/R) 0.9/2.1/1.9 WSD 37

BB - 87/5 AF(F/T/R) 0.3/0.7/8.8 WSD 40</font>

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (12.40 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, Hero ???

<font color="purple">What is my action here?</font>
Old 04-13-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: AQs MP facing UTG and a flop full of fun.

Well, you can't fold the flop getting 17.4:1, so call, hoping to hit a Q, and then another Q.

Button's raise that faces the field with 2 cold looks more like a 5 or a PP, or even overcards or some weak draw trying to get it HU with your "AK." I'd be hard-pressed to fold anywhere before the river, barring new aggression from a different opponent.

Surf
Old 04-19-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, you can't fold the flop getting 17.4:1, so call, hoping to hit a Q, and then another Q.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would he need both Qs? One will do and often the turn will be checked through and he'll get a free card to the river.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:29 AM

Very true. The "hit another Q" comment was supposed to be a joke...apparently an unfunny one. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Surf
Old 04-20-2005, 05:01 AM

you think button called 3 cold with a 5 PF?

You cant fold here, raising would be stupid. so its obviously a call. The turn is the big decision in this hand. The flop plays itself
Old 04-20-2005, 01:44 PM

I'm certainly not counting a 5 out of a his range of hands, because I think A5s or 56s are definitely possibilities . I was just saying what types of hands would raise this flop...and why the action makes it exceedingly unlikely that the flop raiser has trips. I wasn't trying to imply that a 5 was his most likely holding.

I am still in the "talk through" phase of posting ...I articulate in words stuff that may play itself, both for my own edification and possibly for some of the newer posters to benefit from.

You're right, calling is the only possible option on the flop. The turn is the interesting part...however we don't know what the action is to us, or what card hits, so I didn't spend 500 words analyzing all the different possibilities.

Surf

PS: Again, the "hit another Q" line was a bad joke, as in, "haha, wouldn't that be nice...then we wouldn't have to make any hard decisions on the river!"
Not that it was necessary (or the only way, or to imply that 1 Q wasn't enough) to win.