Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 03:28 AM

Default TPTK bad?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, BB calls.

River: (12.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 20.25 BB

Should I have been less aggressive here?
Old 09-20-2004, 03:35 AM

Default Re: TPTK bad?

The river cap is horrible.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:40 AM

Would you recommend folding to the 3-bet? Or not even getting that far?
Old 09-20-2004, 06:27 AM

After raising him twice he still bet into you on the river. I don't think I'd raise there, but that depends on my opponent though. If I did I probably wouldn't cap it, just call the 3 bet. Against an unknown though I would just call his initial bet, no raise.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:22 AM

This is an interesting hand. I am not even sure the turn raise is correct. No, you don't wanna believe he has the flush, and thus a raise looks ok. However, the way he played it, I would be suspicious he had the flush. Thus I would have called it down.

While the turn raise might be questionable (I would have likely done the same), the river cap is horrible. Even the initial raise is questionable.

The problem with that is there are a few hands he could have - An overpair, a flush, or a straight. My initial thoughts were 8T when I first read this hand real quick. You obviously want to raise with the best hand. If the player has continued with his hand in this unusual bet-call style, you might consider that he has made (especially on the river) a better hand than top pair. Thus, this river open should set off an alarm in your head. I can't blame you for raising, but I would strongly consider just calling on the river. Capping it is just ridiculous, sorry.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:35 AM

I think the turn raise is pretty standard. Just call the river though.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:18 AM

I can't see why you even raised the river once. And the cap is horrible.

Do you really think you are ahead after he 3-bet you on the river?
Old 09-20-2004, 12:40 PM

No, you guys are completely right about the river. Looking back it's clear I was starting to go on tilt there (and after that hand I left the table), but I wanted to know at which point I went wrong. Thanks for the help everyone.