Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-18-2005, 06:39 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Playing Poker on a 30\" Monitor

On Dec. 22 Dell is set to put out a 30" monitor that will support 2560x1600 resolution.

[ QUOTE ]

Dell however is planning a 30inch version will no doubt float a great many boats. Though still to be officially confirmed, the 3007WFP (no, apparently it shouldn’t be the 3007FPW) is said to be Dell’s answer to Apple’s staggering Cinema Display. It sports a 2560 x 1600 native resolution, 14ms response time, 700:1 contrast ratio and 400cd/m2 brightness. Given that this kind of monitor is likely to attract regular audiences, the wide 178 degree viewing angle should suit them down to the ground.

As you would expect with a display this size, there is dual DVI-D connectivity with HDCP and the screen is height adjustable and swivels and tilts. A four port USB2.0 hub and 9-in1 multimedia card reader will complete the line up. At this time pricing alludes us, but doing the math (the Apple display is around £1,750 today) Dell’s pricing strategy should put the 3007WFP in the £1,200 to £1,400 price range.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm seriously considering getting one, since my biggest problem while 6 or 8-tabling is that sometimes my brain doesn't draw the connection between both of my current monitors, and I start focusing on only one monitor.

So I have a couple of questions for those who either know a lot about this stuff, or those who have the apple 30" cinema one or know someone who has it.

1. How much is it going to cost for a new video card to support it? I'm assuming I'll need a new one. My current desktop is a Dell Dimension 4800 and I got I think the 2nd to worst video card they offered. 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory I believe. It does have both a VGA and a DVI port

2. How much is it going to hurt my eyes and neck to stare at a 30" ridiculously bright monitor for hours on end? Am I going to have to sit further away? Also, looking at the resolution, I'm thinking I will have to make it 4 tables tall by 2 tables wide (rotating the monitor 90 degrees) to fit 8 tables with no overlap. This sounds infeasible, so if I do it the regular way I will have a little overlap with 9 tables. Is it even feasible for me to play poker on this monitor? Also, in general, will it be difficult to use since it's so big?

Looking at the ratio of prices from Dell:Apple, it appears that the 3007FPW will cost around $1500-$1800. I would be converting from 2 2001 FP's to the 3007FPW. I can sell the two combined for around $700. Is it worth spending $800-1100 for this upgrade? Is there any chance the price will be much higher. Am I better off waiting?

(!)