Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-17-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Scientists Find A DNA Change That Accounts For White Skin

I grew up in northern NJ. I realize that some places are arguing for intelligent design and creationism, but I don't even think that these people deny the fact that humans came out of africa. To say that all black people knew about this and all white people were in the dark about it is racist.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:29 PM

Fair enough. I didn't mean to overgeneralize like that. It's common knowledge among some people and totally unkown to others. The implication of that seems pretty interesting to me.

Two Plus Two has been good about forcing me to be more specific with my words.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:44 PM

Personally, I think its more sensationalist than anything else. Its not really that surprising to me that science has found the gene which makes white people white. Its almost like stating the obvious, but then again I study biochem so it might just be my environment.

Old 12-17-2005, 05:51 PM

The physical differences between caucasians and negroes are more than just color.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:55 PM

JackWhite,

This debate had entered the relam of the surreal. Blacks aren't better sprinters than whites. Whites are better, what was it you said, at being in cold weather than blacks. Race doesn't exsit. We're 99.9999999999% the same.

I can't believe you are saying what I think you're saying, so I hope you'll correct me.

-waxie
Old 12-17-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
JackWhite,

This debate had entered the relam of the surreal. Blacks aren't better sprinters than whites. Whites are better, what was it you said, at being in cold weather than blacks. Race doesn't exsit. We're 99.9999999999% the same.

I can't believe you are saying what I think you're saying, so I hope you'll correct me.

-waxie

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? You don't think there are any phsyical differences based on where you are from in the world? Why do people from East Africa dominate distance running? Why do people of West African decent dominate sprints? Have you ever watched ESPN's strongest man competition? If so, you would have noticed no Kenyans, but a lot of Germans, Poles, and Russians. Coincidence?

Have you ever seen people from Central Africa? They are leaner and taller than people from other parts of the world, while Eskimos are generally short and stocky. Both of these are a result of climate, as you certainly know.

If we are all the same, why aren't there Eskimos playing in the NBA? According to your theory, they would have the same chance as anybody, since we are all the same.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:44 PM

Someone mentioned the human race beginning in Africa (ID?). If the Garden of Eden was in the general vicinity of what is now Iraq, that puts the beginning of man/woman to the East of Africa. Technical point, true. Picky, yes.

DNA-related traits of people(s) in different parts of the world would tend to argue in favor of Evolution - it seems to me. Adaptation to environment?

I'm just asking. I'm not stating a case for or jumping in on either side.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
JackWhite,

-waxie

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? You don't think there are any phsyical differences based on where you are from in the world? Why do people from East Africa dominate distance running? Why do people of West African decent dominate sprints? Have you ever watched ESPN's strongest man competition? If so, you would have noticed no Kenyans, but a lot of Germans, Poles, and Russians. Coincidence?

Have you ever seen people from Central Africa? They are leaner and taller than people from other parts of the world, while Eskimos are generally short and stocky. Both of these are a result of climate, as you certainly know.

If we are all the same, why aren't there Eskimos playing in the NBA? According to your theory, they would have the same chance as anybody, since we are all the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are attributing things to "climate," you shouldn't attribute them to genes...

Sure, move a group of Inuits to East Africa, give them the same diet and have them live at the same altitude as the best distance runners and pretty soon you will have excellent inuit runners.

To say one group is "taller" is a big joke outside of sub-saharan Africa. A very big joke. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:20 PM

Doesn't the netherlands have the tallest average height?
Old 12-17-2005, 07:25 PM

Yup, they do. We did fifty years ago. We have been, proportionately, shrinking in the United States.

Increasing research suggests that height corresponds not simply to "diet" or "environment," but also to the nebulous concept of "social health."

Dutch people are not a "race," and they are significantly taller than most people.