Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 04:47 AM

Default Overpair gets too much action

Both villains in this hand are pretty bad players, with Button being the worse of the two. Button is a LAG with stats of about 60/8/2 over 50 or so hands. I've seen him overplay several hands at this table and he can be counted on to raise many second best hands. UTG is a bit more reasonable and an average weak player at 46/11.5/0.9 over 200 hands. I haven't seen him get out of line, though his high VPIP means he's a bit more aggressive than you might expect.

My table image is probably that of a LAG. I've been getting decent cards, and for about 4-5 orbits there were 3 loose to my right which resulted in lot of isolation raises. I haven't really gotten out of line (in my opinion) or shown down cheese, but that doesn't mean these players like my constant raising.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: (10.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="green">Hero</font> [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
The flop call/cap is serious strength, but I have a decent hand in a large pot. Is it time to lay down?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Overpair gets too much action

Raise. UTG has a pocket pair the majority of the time IMO. You beat most of the ones he limps with. Bad players do weird stuff.

I'm between call/raise, but I like raise to get the LAG out or make him pay. I'm folding this like never.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:03 AM

that's a tough one. i'm not thrilled about having another player to act behind me. and that cap is damn strong you are right. it is certainly not inconceivable that he limped preflop with A2s or K2s given his stats. quite possibly the dreaded limp with pocket aces or kings too. if it was just you and him heads up i'd call him down, but that other player still to act doesn't help matters at all. i guess just thinking out loud here that i'd call and call the river too for only one bet if i had KK or AA. the correct play is probably to fold, but i'm not good enough to do that so i sure hope that miracle ten shows up on the river. good luck.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:45 AM

Normally I'm going with my read here and folding. An average aggression player cold-calls 2 and then caps it. I really can't see him doing this with anything other than trips (or better).

However, with the LAG image its close. I really don't know. I think he would have just raised a pocket pair. I'm erring towards folding, but in the heat of the battle I probably call down and then hate myself.