Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 01:30 AM

Default Re: Aye

[ QUOTE ]
Your the kid in school who remined the teacher to
hand out a homework assingment over the weekend huh?
Close your pie hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you in this statement, however next time please reply to the proper post. It looks like your post is replying to me, while I agree with you 100%.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:20 AM

Default Re: Charging a fee for using 2+2 forums?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2004, 02:38 AM

I think the best way to root out the leeches, trolls, etc. would to setup a book registration system. In order to have access to the forums would have to have a 2+2 Book and register through its serial number or something.

More people joining 2+2 means the game will be harder to beat.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the best way to root out the leeches, trolls, etc. would to setup a book registration system. In order to have access to the forums would have to have a 2+2 Book and register through its serial number or something.

More people joining 2+2 means the game will be harder to beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty cool idea.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:03 AM

I havent read the responses, but I would definitely pay a small yearly fee to join twoplustwo.com.

I have been to other forums where they have a "supporting member lounge" (this could be that mythical pooh-bah lounge). Site is still free, but paying member get benefits. There are much less annoying flashing advertisements. only supporting members could have avatars. etc...
Old 12-14-2004, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but I think the majority of the real contributors to this site, wich are good players and good posters, would agree that it's a workable idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Name some.. or even one at this point. I understand that I'm not on your list, but I have yet to see one "real contributor" fully support your idea. The closest I've heard is a suggestion for a donation to gain entry into a seperate part of the site. Another cool idea was make it so you have to use a serial number off of a 2+2 book, or something like that. Those ideas aren't horrible, but a mandatory subscription fee is.

I don't think many of the "real contributors" would support a mandatory subscription fee. I seriously doubt a significant percentage of them would be in favor of that. I've even heard Malmuth say he isn't supportive of that idea right now. What does that tell you?

Anyway.. find some of those "real contributors" you are talking about. I'm interested to see them voice their rsupport for your idea.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:50 AM

I had actually brought up this idea about a year ago I think....but wasn't militant about it or anything.
I don't think the trolls and stupid posts/threads on these forums are so overwhelming that they disrupt things so significantly as to warrant a fee.
just a few bumps in the road here and there...as is to be expected.

On BJ21.com (the 2+2 of BJ card-counters forums) they had free forums and 'green-chip' forums that cost $25/6mths (I think).
The free forums were getting worse and worse with non-stop trolls. There were many more mods there...but they would just keep coming back.

I shelled out the $25 for the pay-forums because I wanted to gain value from the better posters there.
IMO, it was WELL worth it. The trolls were easily disposed of there.

The biggest advantage was the access to all the archives there. The free-forum archives on BJ21 just weren't that great. But the archives on the pay-forums at BJ21 were pretty much of the same quality and value as some of the most valuable archived posts here.

But, again, I don't think we really need it here that much because the trolls are not THAT overwhelming.

My initial reaction to the idea of a serial-# in the 2+2 books was "Hey...that's kind of a cool idea."
But then I remembered that I wouldn't have even known about 2+2 books WITHOUT these forums. I might have seen the light eventually of course (if I had stuck with poker and not given up out of frustration).

But there are some players who learn of the 2+2 forums from the books....and others (like me) who learn of their books because of these forums.

Honestly, I was such a newbie (had never heard of Sklansky or Hellmuth or anyone) that after a few threads that I read here I thought "Wait a sec...the guys that run these forums have books too?"
So in my case, these forums worked very well in persuading me to purchase their books.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:37 AM

horrible idea. the people that have the most knowledge to give would stop coming here. you would only have the people that want to learn left, with noone to teach them.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:38 AM

Again- I'd just like to say that this is a staggeringly dumb idea. BK is exactly right.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:57 AM

Every internet forum is delivered to you "as is". Paying money will not magically grant you the power to recognize great posts and to recognize poor posts. Your brain has to do that work. And once you realize this, you will realize that the current forum form works great.