Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2004, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Charging a fee for using 2+2 forums?

[ QUOTE ]
I live in Brazil and I think americans are cheap.
What has the world come to?

[/ QUOTE ]

How nice for you. I'm sorry to inform you that a $1 fee per a monthly or yearly basis IS considered a subscription. I'm sorry you think Americans are cheap, but you are not going to get people to say, "Hey, I want to spend money I don't have to, just to get the same thing I was already getting before. Great deal!"

That's not going to happen. Use the ignore feature. 2+2 isn't even interested in charging a subscription fee right now. See Mason Malmuth's posts for details.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:58 PM

To somebody who plays poker, transfering 10$ to another user of a poker site is so easy it can't be considered a "hassle".

New users would still come, just the cheap ones will stay out.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you had to go through the hassle of paying before you could use the forum we wouldn't get many new posters. They would find some free forum somewhere else...

[/ QUOTE ]

As I understand it, this is one of the main reason Mason isn't currently supportive of charging for the 2+2 forums.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a SIMBOLIC fee

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd prefer to pay a symbolic fee, myself. Or a symbiotic fee. I wouldn't mind doing the gorilla routine, picking fleas off one of the higher-ups. NPA, I'm looking at you. Rowr.

But yeah, this idea sucks. $1 isn't enough to drive off spammers and idiots, and it'll only annoy the regulars. It will get rid of the lurkers, but I really don't mind them (I'm an exhibitionist at heart I suppose). And anything high enough to drive off the idiots/trolls/spammers will also be high enough to drive off some of the regular base.

I'll be honest, I'd gladly donate $50-100 to 2+2 for these forums, especially if it would help in the purchase of new software, additional moderators, etc. But if there were some sort of mandatory fee, I'd not only be less likely to donate more, I'd probably stop posting as often too, out of principal. 2+2 is a highly user-driven forum, and a donation system would fit in perfectly with what this place is all about. Switching to a fee-based service would NOT.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
New users would still come, just the cheap ones will stay out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frankly, that just isn't true or accurate. What do you base this on? Just your opinion? Or do you have some solid evidence that a subscritpion fee wouldn't turn people away?

I can tell you that nobody is rushing to get on www.pokerschoolonline.com/

They charge a subscription fee and have some expert players dishing out advice. Yet, most 2+2 members don't go there. Hmmm.. I wonder why. If you want a subscription based forum, go there.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This idea is terrible. You realize that you're talking to a userbase that bitches about paying $2 to withdraw $1000 to their Neteller card, right? What makes you think that they would voluntarily pay so that they could GIVE OUT advice? I would certainly not mind seeing an area for forum donations, because I'm sure that many of us would happily contribute to a source that has benefitted us. But charging a subscription fee for a user-supported forum would never work.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Something Awful forums charge a fee, and it grows rapidly.

I don't support this idea, though.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:12 PM

Default Aye

It's a good idea. I support it.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Aye

[ QUOTE ]
It's a good idea. I support it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there is one supporter! The OP should have made this a poll. I know the results would be extremely tilted towards the "No" option, but it would have been nice to see how many actually would support such a fee.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:21 PM

Please open a poll, im also interested in seeing the results. Obviously the No-Fee option would win but I think the majority of the real contributors to this site, wich are good players and good posters, would agree that it's a workable idea.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:21 PM

Here's one more no vote.