Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Facing major resistance while stealing with 77...

The following hand took place in the last couple of hours of a somewhat disheartening two-day stint at Foxwoods where I finished down $600 playing 5/10 (w/full kill). In addition, I had been drinking copius amounts of alcohol in the last couple of hours, but had since ceased drinking an hour earlier. As a note, the bulk of my losses occured during the sober parts of my time there. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

The villian in this hand is fairly new to the table, and he is posting the kill blind ($10) after having just won a large pot. To be honest, I can't remember if the villian was UTG or in the BB, although I don't think it matters as the hand plays out. The hand will play as 10/20, with an SB of $2, and a BB of $5 if the Villian is UTG. The players in between me and and Villian are fairly tight.

I'm in late MP with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

It was folded around to me (or Villian checked UTG if he wasn't the BB) and I raise it to $20, folded to Villian who calls.

4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villian checks, I bet, Villian raises, I reraise, Villian caps, I call.

[4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian bets, I...

1) Raise the turn, in an attempt to get a free showdown?
2) Simply call down no matter what the river brings?
3) Fold?
Old 03-26-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Facing major resistance while stealing with 77...

it sucks, but folding is looking pretty good right about now.

there is just too much that you're behind to here. it's possible he was just testing you with the flop check/raise to see if you had overcards. your 3-bet should be telling him you have an overpair but he's still coming at you with a cap and then leading the turn...

you're drawing to 2 outs here, just fold.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:19 PM

A guy willing to cap a flop like this is too likely to reraise on the turn or bet on the river despite your turn raise. I think raising here is the worst option.

I like folding it at this point. Without a good read on the player, it's not worth calling two more big bets.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Rest of the action...

This hand was bugging me all along my drive home last night, even though the money I lost on it was negligible in the overal scheme of my trip...

...anyway, I folded the turn.

Sorry if this hand was overly standard. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2005, 03:22 PM

I would have called his flop checkraise and raised the turn for a free showdown. And if he 3-bets the turn, it's an easier fold. Use your position.