Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Verizon Wireless Cards

care to elaborate about the settings that made it work much faster?
Old 09-13-2005, 03:19 PM

fyi

$80 is bs because i currently have my voice plan thru sprint
and still have the $60 rate
Old 09-13-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
care to elaborate about the settings that made it work much faster?

[/ QUOTE ]

PLEASE!
Old 09-13-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fyi

$80 is bs because i currently have my voice plan thru sprint
and still have the $60 rate

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Maybe it was a "promo rate"?
Old 09-13-2005, 04:02 PM

I really don't remember everything that we were doing.

but mostly trying to get my norton anti-virus out of the way a little bit while also disabling a couple of the other network wi-fi thingees seemed to help a lot.

My first day with it the web-surfing was idiotically slow.
Even slower than my regular dial-up in fact.

I think that turning off the personal firewall on norton made a significant difference there.
Also make sure that you ahve it set for 115k max-rate (or whatever it is).

It truly does feel like about 2x the speed of dial-up (as advertised).

I'm still having some occassional connection issues though.
I talked with my 2nd tech-rep today. I am going to take the card back to a verizon store and get a replacement.

I have a feeling it's just a general signal strength issue that perhaps fluctuates in my area...maybe I'm far enough away from the tower AND there's enough traffic on the signal that is the cause of the problems.

If I have the same problem with the new card then I'll probably ditch it.
Perhaps will go with Cingular which also has a similar product.

Also - will call Verizon and ask about the $60/month promo-rate (even without a Verizon voice-plan).
If they are still running it then I am going to demand that I get this one also (or else I'll just cancel my plan before the 15-day trial period ends...and then will consider whether I want to get a new plan with them or if I will be taking my business to Cingular).
Old 09-13-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It truly does feel like about 2x the speed of dial-up (as advertised).

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like your on the older 1xRTT network which should be 60-120kbps (ie- about 2x dialup speed) I think it's called "National Access"

The EVDO network ("Broadband Access") should be 3-500kbps. Thats typically what I get in the Dallas/Fort Worth area on 1 or 2 bars of signal strength inside a concrete/steel building. Outside or in a normal residential type building I get 500-800kbps, about the equivalent of mid-level DSL.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:29 PM

Yes, the card does both networks. Many small-mid sized cities (and a few large ones) still don't have Verizon Broadband Access coverage. The National Access (cellular) coverage gives you 2X's dial-up at best. Sometimes it can be slower than dial-up, but even that's fine for playing poker. The overall connection has been VERY consistent for me.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also - will call Verizon and ask about the $60/month promo-rate (even without a Verizon voice-plan).
If they are still running it then I am going to demand that I get this one also (or else I'll just cancel my plan before the 15-day trial period ends...and then will consider whether I want to get a new plan with them or if I will be taking my business to Cingular).

[/ QUOTE ]

wp [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Do you also have the additional program that came with the Verizon software? It is called Venturi and is supposed to optimize your connection speed. I was just wondering if this was one of the things you removed that helped the speed?

Thanks
Old 09-13-2005, 06:04 PM

I'm in Omaha, and it doesn't look like Verizon has an Omaha market, but I'm looking for an alternative that has an Omaha market and would work about as well. My main concern is that my Netgear wireless card can't quite obtain a wireless connection in my college classrooms. Could someone suggest a product that would extend my range so I could obtain wireless connection in the classroom? I'm kind of a noob when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2005, 06:15 PM

I don't know what 'wp' means.

I have the Venturi client running.

I'm in Memphis where they don't have the broadband...so I'm just on the digital-cellular signal.
I plan on moving around from city to city (within the U.S.) in the near future...likely to include a couple of markets that have the broadband coverage.

The fun test comes up at the end of the month when the GF and I drive to Washington DC and then over to West Virginia.
there will be areas where I'll get zero cell-signal...but I'm looking forward to the stretches where I get to play internet-poker while were cruising down the highway.

In Omaha...even if they don't have the broadband you would still get the national-access.