Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Tough situation with ATs

I've learned a lot from reading this forum but I haven't actually posted any hands before. I thought I would ask for your help on a tough situation I encountered a couple days ago. Unfortunately, I don't have the exact hand history with me at the moment, but I remember the hand very well. I apologize if the format is a little different.

Absolute Poker 25c/50c (9 handed)
No real reads on any of the players as I had just joined the table. People were playing pretty loose, about 4-5 people per flop.

Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Preflop:
Two limpers in front of me - one in EP and one in MP
Hero raises, both blinds call, both limpers call

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 handed)
Everyone checks to Hero, Hero checks

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 handed)
SB bets out, everyone folds to Hero, Hero calls

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 handed)
SB bets again, Hero calls

In particular, I'm not sure what I should have done on the turn, but comments on any of the streets are welcome. The problem is that even though the best possible card for me hit on the turn, my T doesn't play, so I'm splitting at best if SB has an ace. Calling down feels somewhat loose passive here. Would you play it differently?
Old 07-07-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Tough situation with ATs

Welcome to 2+2.

First off, it's not a big deal, but .25/.50 hands should be posted in the microlimit forum... but I think we can forgive you this one time [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Preflop: Nice raise.

Flop: I will usually check behind in a situation where I raise with two unpaired high cards preflop and the flop is a total airball. However, in this particular instance I would probably bet because since the board has paired it is less likely to have hit someone.

Turn: Raise it up. An ace isn't the only card SB might bet with here. He may have a pair of jacks, two diamonds, a pocket pair, and there's even a chance he's on a total bluff. I don't think calling twice on the big streets is horrible, but IMO there's definitely more value to raising.

Just my opinion...
Old 07-07-2005, 02:57 PM

.25/.50 should go in micro-limit forum.

Definitely raise the turn and bet the river. Slow down to a 3-bet.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:00 PM

Preflop raise is good, and I bet this flop when it's checked to me. I'm not sure what good raising the turn does as we are splitting with all As that don't have us beat.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:03 PM

You must bet the flop here. You have the best hand way too often to let it get checked through.

-SmileyEH
Old 07-07-2005, 03:05 PM

Just a thought:

What about calling the turn and raising the river?

1. If we're chopping, it costs me nothing, and there's the extremely remote, very distant chance villain might get scared and make a very bad river fold if he has another A.

2. If we're ahead of villain, waiting till the river gets the most money in without losing action.

3. If we're behind to three 6s, we are probably less likely to get re-raised on the river than on the turn. It also may be easier to lay down our A to a river three-bet on the river than on the turn.

The only risk seems to be if villain plays back with an A, but this doesn't seem likely from anyone but a lag (but hopefully we'd have some sense of that already).

This strikes me as sort of similar to a way ahead/way behind situation, with the added complication that a huge percentage of the time we're chopping. The chopping cases, though, can be ignored, because our EV barely changes (if at all) in those situations. I think this line does better for the non-chop cases.

Just a thought.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:47 PM

I see, yes I probably should have bet the flop given that A high is still a pretty good hand here.

The reason I was reluctant to raise on the turn is that I didn't think SB would call me with a worse hand - possibly with two diamonds but given that I raised preflop, I didn't think he would call here with just a J. On the other hand, I was worried he would 3-bet me with a 6, although I probably could have folded in that case.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:23 PM

I've never played .25/.50 on Absolute, but fwiw,

I like checking the flop. Against four players, when I've missed the flop with AT, I'll take the free card.

The turn is tougher. My first instinct was to raise, but as you pointed out, even if he has a weaker ace you're splitting here. If he has a better ace, or more, he may three-bet, and if he's donking around with a J (or less) there's a good chance he'll fold.

I like your turn/river plays. Calling down here is the best way to win the most/lose the least, imo.