Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Flopped trips with 46s....River decision

[ QUOTE ]
I would just call. I think he has 99 and slowplayed it to the river in hopes of you pairing up.

[/ QUOTE ]

That river bet is almost surely a blocking bet. If he had the boat on the flop, I would think he'd be trying to get more of your money into the middle, and he would have raised the turn.

I would min-raise to $200. I think a push would fold him, unless he happened to have the 99. I've found often that river min-raises will often be called. If he has TT, JJ, or whatever, why let him off easy?

By the way, from a tight and good player, I think AA and KK are just as likely, and he could simply be exercising pot control. (Especially if he knows you call a preflop raise with any two.)
Old 06-24-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Results

I was thinking almost exactly like you guys. I figured he threw out a blocking bet with some sort of middle pair, A9, etc. Since a raise would basically put him all-in, I decided to just shove. And...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Hero ($688.95)
Button ($2206.9)
SB ($542)
BB ($757.6)
UTG ($634.1)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $21</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $18, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($48) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $35</font>, SB calls $35.

Turn: ($118) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $70</font>, SB calls $70.

River: ($258) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $100</font>, Hero calls $562.95 (All-In), SB calls $316 (All-In).

Final Pot: $1236.95

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 2c 2h (full house, twos full of fours).
Hero has 4s 6s (three of a kind, fours).
Outcome: SB wins $1090. Hero wins $146.95. </font>
Old 06-24-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Results

Ouch...

So suppose you min-raised the river, and he moves in. Anyone fold in this situation?
Old 06-24-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ouch...

So suppose you min-raised the river, and he moves in. Anyone fold in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the problem with raising in this situation. You are putting yourself in a position where you have committed about 132 bfore the river and then if you reraise you have committed an additional 200 to a pot that is now almost 700 dollars. You only have another couple of hundred and have to decide in about 20 seconds whether or not this guy has AA or a boat. Personally, i am don't want to be put in that situation with this hand.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ouch...

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the problem with raising in this situation. You are putting yourself in a position where you have committed about 132 bfore the river and then if you reraise you have committed an additional 200 to a pot that is now almost 700 dollars. You only have another couple of hundred and have to decide in about 20 seconds whether or not this guy has AA or a boat. Personally, i am don't want to be put in that situation with this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if he's a tight player, does he move in with AA or KK with a paired board? As tough as it would be to do, don't you fold to the move in?
Old 06-24-2005, 05:15 PM

Hm, so he called off $100 to make =~ $650 drawing at a 2 outer with 2 shots to hit it. Honestly.. looks like you make money over time doing this then, I think. Unless I'm totally wrong. If you had min raised instead and he shoves, I think you have to call. Of course there will be times you hit your 6 on the turn when he fills the river as well, so $$$ there too!
Old 06-24-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ouch...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if he's a tight player, does he move in with AA or KK with a paired board? As tough as it would be to do, don't you fold to the move in?

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably doesnt and it is probably a fold, but its a big price to pay for a feeler bet.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:36 PM

The guy had obviously been calling you down on the first 2 streets putting you on over cards and simply hit his miracle card on the river.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:43 PM

The average player in the 600nl sh games is not throwing out a 'blocking bet' with TT or JJ on the river after calling on the previous 3 streets. It just never happens. They're leading the flop or turn or check-and-raising one of those streets. Hell, I don't even think many of these players know what a blocking bet is or when making one might be useful. Even if it is a blocking bet from TT or JJ, are they calling the raise? Do they have a reason to call the raise vs. a tight player? What hands call a tight player's raise (as you described yourself) that you beat? None! Unless you've been playing very aggressively, less than awesome spot to shove.

Just call.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:56 PM

He had 22? Absolutely Fishtastic!