Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 12:25 PM

Default How to play two pair when board has 3 to straight.

Lately I have been getting killed on these hands.

For example I have 9T with a board of 89T and am heads up with position. My opponent makes a pot sized bet and I move all in. He calls me with JJ and wins when he rivers a Q.

Another one is I have QT on board of TJQ and am first to act. I check planinng on a big check raise. However my opponent moves in and I call only to lose to a set of tens.

I would like to get to showdown as cheap as possible, but can't afford to give up free cards. What to do? What to do?

If it is a multiway pot with 4 or more players and there is any significant action I will usually give up with only 4 outs.

I thought I played the two hands correctly and was just unlucky.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: How to play two pair when board has 3 to straight.

QT on that board is extremely suspect.

youre going to lose your *** playing that way against decent competition.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:16 PM

Regarding hand #1 you were just unlucky but should be glad to take that scenario as many times as you can (it's +EV). Regarding #2 you need to give more information, especially about whether the pot was raised, the position in which you held QT, the stack sizes and whether there was a 2 flush on the board. If the pot was raised then that flop was especially dangerous and you could only justify calling if you thought the opponent had something like KQ/AA/KK. Since you planned to checkraise I assume you were in fact raised behind you and thus you thought he would bet. Either way, a bet of 2/3 the pot would most often be correct as you shouldn't give a free card and need to find out where you are.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:34 PM

No one wants to have to make tought decisions in tough spots. If you read this forum that should become quite evident. Everyone wants to sit around holding their penis waiting to flop a set and have their opponent pinned to a wall, and while they're waiting they're losing out.

Ability to play in these tight situations is what puts you over the edge. It may seem like you are losing, because you have a very slim advantage. Post some more interesting, less obvious hands, and Ill give you a few clues.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:41 PM

why do u want to get a showdown cheaply? if you think you are ahead then put it all in. you couldn't do much about either hand. thats gambling. if i suspect a straight i might put myself to the defensive. otherwise, i'd play the two hands aggressively.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone wants to sit around holding their penis

[/ QUOTE ]

I hold my penis when I have to piss or ejaculate.

Lawrence
Old 03-16-2005, 07:46 PM

Hand 1 - you just got unlucky...that is assuming JJ didn't raise preflop..if he did raise preflop and you called with this junk you got what you deserved.

Hand 2 - Not a big fan of the call. Looks like a fold to me. If he's a wacko..sure this can be a call..was he a wacko.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding hand #1 you were just unlucky but should be glad to take that scenario as many times as you can (it's +EV).

[/ QUOTE ]

Very narrowly so. Hero is an underdog if JJ has a backdoor flush draw.

From OP's language and holdings, I'm assuming an unraised pot and stacks of some material size. I'm not crazy about a push in that spot.