Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Ask any newbie question here

The last version of this post proved a bit of fun, but didn't get to the heart of many commonly asked or possibly scared to ask poker questions.

Please don't fill this thread with joke posts people, I'll delete them. But if you've got a question that you think is a frequently asked one that isn't in the FAQ, or if you have a question that otherwise just goes in the bin "newbie questions" please throw them in here. Questions can be poker, software, forum, whatever, related.

Others who are not me are of course welcome to respond to questions.

citanul
Old 07-28-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Ask any newbie question here

What is the skill difference between the "average 55er", "average 109er", and "average 215er"?

Edit: let me elaborate to clarify what i am looking for...

-What common mistakes are less prevalent (and thus less expoitable)
-Can one have more success w.r.t. defining a tighter hand range from prior action in the hand as BI increases?
-Could you mention some areas of your game that you thought were solid, but found that you were leaking when moving up?

...that kind of stuff. Specific examples will be appreciated. Myself, i havent really ventured above the 55s, but can see myself taking some more serious stabs at the 109s in the near future, and would like to be prepared for how they play differently. And by extention, what would moving up an additional level be like (distant future).

THanks in advance !

BL'
Old 07-28-2005, 05:57 PM

BL,

The skill difference between the average 55er and the average 109er is pretty big. The way I usually think about it is like, the average 109er is a good 55er playing higher stakes. That isn't to say there aren't donkeys at the 109s, but that's the standard of play we're looking at.

The 109 to 215 gap is even larger. There are still donkeys again, but the average player is probably a "good, competant" sng player, with a few tricks up their sleeves, and not going broke with top pair no kicker basically ever.

citanul
Old 07-28-2005, 06:03 PM

As a corollary, many replies in this forum assume you are playing at Party Poker, where the games always fill quickly.

At other sites, you may find the same people playing at all of the above levels, starting low early on waiting for the bigger games to fill later. By fill, I mean have greater demand and be fishier.

Yes, I posted content. Doughnut punchers.... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 02:39 AM

Are oreos really that good that people make them out to be?
I live in Sweden where they are not widely accesible and I've never had the pleasure of consuming one.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:45 AM

nwirb,

this is not the "ask anything" post, it is for asking questions related to poker and or this forum.

however, since i'm still awake for some reason:

oreos are really that good. they must be, or no one would put up with the extra extra extra deadly form of fat they use in the cream filling.

citanul
Old 08-05-2005, 04:23 AM

Thanks for the answer =)

I'm still awake too.. Only problem is that it is 10:30 am here. I really really suck at sleeping.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:36 AM

I very strongly disagree with citanul's response about oreos. The cookies are kinda dry, if that makes any sense. The cream, however, is pretty good, but not amazing.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:53 PM

what's a "bubble" and what strategic changes to my play must I make to be a consistent winner (in, on, or around this "bubble")?
Old 07-28-2005, 06:00 PM

Felipe,

For definitions of terms I refer you to the FAQ stickied to the op of the forum.

As for strategy changes, they are many and varied. Stealing blinds becomes a) easier b) imperitive c) where you make your money. It being the bubble means that calling becomes very wrong in certain spots where otherwise it might seem right, as busting out in 4th when 3 pay is very very bad, and taking a 40% chance to do so is very bad. So in short, loosen up raising standards, tighten up calling standards. Mind "the gap."

citanul